CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Just bought a F2! Already broken down -_-

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a F2! Already broken down -_-

Hi guys. bought a f2 yesterday (have introduced myself in the new member section)

Was out on it today for the first proper ride and it died on me !!
long story short, I was traveling about 75 mph on the motorway heading home and i noticed it started to feel really, grindy?? for lack of a better word, in the higher rev range's. seem to be crunching and chugging along, then it lost all drive and wouldnt accelerate, so i let off the rev's and it died completely so i scooted over to the hard shoulder and stopped. the power wasnt an issue and it would start, so i left it ten mintues, tried again and it fired up, pulls perfectly in the lower gears and then in higher rev's it seemed to be the same, managed to ride it home though.
Spoke to one chap who thinks maybe its a spark plug or cam's?? but im a novice and ive bought the bike as a project anyway so im not too annoyed, just dont wanna start spending loads straight away as its nearly christmas.

any ideas???
hopefully theres a picture below if the img code works this time.

Name:  honda.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  184.7 KB

wouldnt start#####

Last edited by 74demon; 12-03-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: merge posts
Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Higher range RPMs is where you have the issue? Might be a clogged main jet.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM

is this something i can check easily?? or is it best getting a mechanic to do it??

Old 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the main jet. Best place to start is sometimes the easiest. You need to remove the carbs, which is not all that hard. In the main F1 area, there are manuals that you can download.

Youtube "cleaning motorcycle carbs" and you will find tonnes of useful info

Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Thank you, I have a few days off so will attempt tomorrow with the help of youtube/ this forum! never attempted anything quite like this so fingers crossed!

Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 AM

ok guys! help needed!!

stripped the carbs out today (went really well, really pleased with myself! aha)

and they were all nice and clean and free of crap! so where do i go now???

Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by richbransby
ok guys! help needed!!

stripped the carbs out today (went really well, really pleased with myself! aha)

and they were all nice and clean and free of crap! so where do i go now???
There is clean, and there is clean. Even the slightest bit of gunk in one of the passageways is enough to ruin your day. What are the condition of the diaphagms? (the rubber things under the caps). If they are not getting a perfect seal they won't lift the needles. Also, make sure there is no leaks on the intake boots.

If all that checks out, check for exhaust leaks, then valve clearances. The valves require taking the valve cover off, but its a fairly easy job to do as long as you are careful and don't rush.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM

ok, well i gave the jets a good few hours soak in teh carb cleaner anyway and refitted them
the diaphragms all seemed great, all in tact and operating fully. nice smooth movement up and down and a really good seal.

Onto the exhaust and valves. is there a tutorial on the valves? im not sure what to look for?

on a different note, went to my honda dealership today to ask for advice and ask about getting new gaskets for the carbs in case they wernt in good condition when i took them apart, and they qouted me £145!!! which is like 233 dollars! is this really expensive for gaskets as i think its outrageous!

Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Depending in what you used to soak, usually a soak isn't good enough. You need to blow out all the orifices and jets.

Exhaust leaks is just listening for exhaust escaping out if the pipes before the muffler. Usually is pretty obvious because the nose is loud. I'm sure there are videos on valve lash adjustment in you tube as well.

Are your carbs leaking? I presume your taking about float bowl gaskets. I've seen carb rebuild kits on ebay for cheaper than that.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Depending in what you used to soak, usually a soak isn't good enough. You need to blow out all the orifices and jets.

Exhaust leaks is just listening for exhaust escaping out if the pipes before the muffler. Usually is pretty obvious because the nose is loud. I'm sure there are videos on valve lash adjustment in you tube as well.

Are your carbs leaking? I presume your taking about float bowl gaskets. I've seen carb rebuild kits on ebay for cheaper than that.
I used Car Plan carb and throttle cleaner.
Soaked for 3 hours an father blew through them with compressed air?? Like I said they looked spotless before, I'll post a photo I took before I did anything later.
I enquired about the gaskets before I took anything apart just in case they broke, but at that its I risked it and they all turned out to be good anyway.
Just seems seriously costly for a few thin pieces of rubber.

Thanks for your help buddie. I'm hoping all the tinkering will have made some change. I'm gonna spend some one putting everything back together tomorrow and then take her for a run and see how she copes. Ill let you know how it goes. Hopefully I won't break down again!

Quick Reply: Just bought a F2! Already broken down -_-