CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

It's Maintenance Time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's Maintenance Time!

I've got the service manual for the F2 but NO where in the damned book can I find where to adjust the throttle play.

I engage it slowly when the engine is off and I can hear a click like it is coming from under the fuel tank. I am guessing this means I will have to remove the fuel tank to adjust it.

Is there a tensioner like the idle adjuster that I need to play with? Also I am thinking about throwing some new grips on her too. Anyone have suggestions of a specific brand that is good? also do I need a certain size or is 1 size fits all kinda deal?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You adjust the throttle free play "MOSTLY****" at the throttle housing. Proper throttle play for the bike is 1/8" to 1/4" before you feel tension on the cable/or notice response from the motor.

Is yours too tight or too loose?

Free play is described in the Honda common service manual - page 2-2/2-4 - you can get it here:
http://www.stephygee.com/hondacommon.zip

but - coming out of your throttle housing one cable has an adjuster and a locknut - loosen the locknut and thread the adjuster in to increase your freeplay, or out to take up some slack and reduce your free play.

that should be all the adjustment you need.

****I said mostly, cause I installed new throttle cables on mine and couldn't get enough free play with the adjuster run all the way in, so I had to make an adjustment at the carb end of the cables. This should not normally be the case.

The click you are hearing is the spring-loaded bellcrank where the carb cables attach, rotating down onto the idle adjustment screw.

you need open end grips for 7/8" bars with a twist-style throttle. this will get you a pair of grips -one will have a slightly larger inside diameter to go on the throttle tube. I got a pair of Driven Grippy-grips and like em. I did sand the ends down on my belt sander a few mm on each end on the throttle grip to ensure smooth operation.

I know people talk about safety wire, and special glues and whatever - but I use good old aqua-net hairspray (no frilly scent or anything - just straight cheap hairspray w/ alcohol in it) spray the inside of the grip, and the bar/throttle tube and slip em on. give em a day to set up and you should be good to go. Works perfectly even in hot & humid Louisiana summers, and wet & humid springs and falls. I was a bicycle mechanic for several years and that's how we always installed grips - never failed unless the grips themselves were wearing out.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 08-18-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM

It's all a matter of personal taste. I run mine as tight as I can get until I start to raise the idle, then back off so as I'm right at that point!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
It's all a matter of personal taste. I run mine as tight as I can get until I start to raise the idle, then back off so as I'm right at that point!
I was just spitting out what I think the clymer manual stated. I could be wrong - the Honda manual is what I have on my PC @ work and it didn't specify an amount.

I prolly only have about 1/8" on mine - I don't want a lot of slop in that linkage either.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:03 PM

Thanks guys! The hairpsray trick sounds like a good idea too. My throttle has too much play in it currently. about 30 degrees of play before it engages.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 AM
July 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by deadfred
Thanks guys! The hairpsray trick sounds like a good idea too. My throttle has too much play in it currently. about 30 degrees of play before it engages.
hey deadfred if you need any info on anything i have the honda cbr 600f2 oem factory manual.. let me know if you need anything

Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by squale147
hey deadfred if you need any info on anything i have the honda cbr 600f2 oem factory manual.. let me know if you need anything
thanks! I adjusted it today and it worked fine. Also got some grips from the store, had to put em on the way I remember doing my BMX, with dish soap.

Since they were SUPER tight, I had to lubricate them, so I used a bit of soap to lube up the handlebar and slid the grip right over it. They don't move at all after 6 hours or so of drying.