CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

How much time do you spend on maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How much time do you spend on maintenance?

I was just wondering if it's just because I'm a slack ba5tard that I spend so little time working on my bike, or it's just that they're so bloody good that it's not necessary...maybe a combo. How about you?

I do the regular stuff like oil and filter, adjusting the chain etc. but not a great deal more. It doesn't lose coolant so I rarely bother checking it and only check the oil two or three times between changes. I lube the chain every 3 or 400km and give all the pivot points (levers and ****) a squirt with 'three in one' silicone lube every couple of weeks. When we've got enough spare water (tanks are very low) I give it a wash, but that's about it.

Total mainenance time: Bugger all! It's my kind of bike..I just push the button and ride the thing. I've had other bikes that have needed constant fiddling and pulling apart, but not this one. It's been over four years now and the longer we're together the more I'm thinking it could be my long term keeper..I think it's love people .

Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, I'm with you. I do maintenance almost exactly like you.
I've done valve checks and adjustments, too. And I've inspected the CC/CCT. And I've inspected and cleaned the carbs once. And I balance them on occasion.

I think that coolant and hydraulic oil changes are good every decade or so, also... along with bearings...

I just wish I could quit burning through tires..

Relax, "It's a Honda!"

Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Talking

I do all the preventive Main. that I can, if its to much for me then I send my Cane to Ducati and let them do it. I ride mostly on the weekends and wash my bike mon. or wed. and durning the winter months take her apart and clean her up and do a few mods just so she has her upgrades for the next riding season.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With you Doug do most all my "big stuff" in the off season .....maintenance only
"in season" ......then of course ........chit just comes up sometimes eg fork seals

Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do the usual stuff myself - oil, filter and brake pad changes, I change my own tires now, carb adjustment. It really doesn't need much at all.

I probably spend less than 15 hours a year working on her, other than washing.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

I spend as much time as the Missus will let me, but i think it is an excuse to get into the garage for some me time.

On a serious note, i have always done servicing myself, my last road bike (suzuki rf900) i spent aprox 1 hour per week on a friday after work routine checking, oil/filter. Most times about a 3 beer job.

Aussie Johnno

Old 10-25-2009, 03:24 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Very little time spent maintaining it.Do the obvious things,oil,plugs,chain etc.If it aint broke ,dont fix it.
Usualy have a can handy & wonder off to do something else in the garage,forget all about the bike.
Going back 20 years ago,i always had the rocker cover off the CBR 600F,tinkering with the valves,dont bother with the 1000F.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 AM

When I first bought it, i changed every fluid on it and I recently synched the carbs and put in new plugs. Other than that, it's just been chain lube, air pressure in tires, and oil changes.... just get on it and ride!! It remindes me a lot of my Honda Accord-vertually maintenance free!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

As above really , fluid checks plugs ect . I like to 'tinker', but that's mainly wasting time in the garage .

After a long trip I might just go in the garage and sit on her for a few minutes to say hello

Quick Reply: How much time do you spend on maintenance?