CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

This guy needs your help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This guy needs your help

i bought a fairing kit from china looks great out of the box real happy with it thing that bugs me is the tank cover what have you guys done to fix this thank you sorry pics are kinda crappy Josh

Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The tank cover would bug me too. Maybe heat up around the mounting points and give it a tweak. I don't know though. Maybe your tank is bent a bit.

Get another tank and have it painted, unless yours is in good shape. That would be the best thing.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
The tank cover would bug me too. Maybe heat up around the mounting points and give it a tweak. I don't know though. Maybe your tank is bent a bit.

Get another tank and have it painted, unless yours is in good shape. That would be the best thing.
I thought about haveing mine painted to match but i think that would be hard but the idea is crossed out yet

Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

It wouldn't be that hard. Drop it off at a body shop with a piece of the new fairing set, like the tank cover. They can match the black. Is it solid black, or could it be?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
It wouldn't be that hard. Drop it off at a body shop with a piece of the new fairing set, like the tank cover. They can match the black. Is it solid black, or could it be?
oh i agree i am worried about the shades of green

Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's a tank cover. That's always a tough one. Like demon said, you'll have to try and adjust it at the mounting points. You may be able to tweak it.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, I'd paint the tank myself before screwing around with those covers - I haven't seen one yet where the fit wouldn't bug the crap out of me.

Last edited by 74demon; 12-22-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: content
Old 12-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Yeah, it's a tank cover. That's always a tough one. Like demon said, you'll have to try and adjust it at the mounting points. You may be able to tweak it.
Yeah, Blacken, use a heat gun and give that a shot, that is, IF you are certain that neither the fore or aft mount flanges on the tank are bent. But, even with plenty of heat, be careful, the Hong Kong stuff is cheap ABS, and it is much more susceptible to breakage than higher quality OEM plastics.

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
personally, I'd paint the tank myself before screwing around with those covers - I haven't seen one yet where the fit wouldn't bug the crap out of me.

Agreed. The covers are not ideal, and, after you've had one on for a while, it WILL leave marks on the tank from vibration at contact points, not to mention, sometimes they kinda buzz from that same vibration... really annoying all around.

Blacken, maybe you shouldn't be careful wile trying to "tweak" the cover to fit, cuz if you just go ahead and bust it up, you'll be forced to do the better thing, and just paint your tank gloss black, so it'll match anything!
Another plus with that, is, belive it or not, that cover adds almost exactly 2 pounds of unnecessary weight, and that's no bueno.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All good advice above.

I'll add... Some tank covers can be 'leveled' by the application of thin double-sided weather strip affixed as spacers/levelers btwn tank & cover. It will allow for some alignment over the tank cap. If I was otherwise happy w/ the tank cover's paint & finish, I'd give the option just mentioned a try first & see if it is acceptable.