CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Grabby Front Brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grabby Front Brake

Hey guys. Got to put a couple miles on the bike finally, took her to school and back a couple times today, as the weather permitted some good riding. One thing I've come to notice, and noticed from the first time I tried to stop, was the front brake is very grabby. Pretty much to the point where it's impractical to use. I've resorted to using gearing down and rear brake to slow down. I know the front brake is xx% of your braking power which is why this bothers me. I'm gonna try to get a good look at the pads tomorrow and bleed the system, but I figured I'd see what you guys thought. Now don't take this the wrong way. I'm just asking for opinions here, not trying to get you guys to solve my problems. I'm sure I can figure it out. Just want to see what you guys think.

On the same note, is it worth picking up some SS lines? perhaps this is a question I should ask after figuring out whats wrong, but still. Since buying this bike all I wanna do is make her perfect

Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Banned

I would start by changing the brake fluid all the way around - front and rear. For all you know, it could still be the original brake fluid in there. You can do it with one can of brake fluid and it's pretty easy. Here's an exellent how-to if you are unsure:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...ge+brake+fluid

Maybe that will solve your problem and maybe not, but it's good place to start.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Sweet thanks for the write-up. Yeah that's one thing on my list of to-dos, along with coolant flush and probably a new thermostat.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

i would say its worn pads.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 PM

So I changed the brake fluid today and I think I just found out what 16 year old brake fluid looks like Stuff was gross. Looked like someone filled it up with some cloudy ale and sprinkled dirt into it. Well she's all freshened up now, so thats good. Though the front brake is still grabby. I'm suspecting the same thing too Monkeh, prolly needs some new pads. Didn't have time to get a good look at em today though, sun went down. tomorrow is supposed to be warm again so hopefully I'll get some more work done.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 PM

If the calipers are corroded, the internal pistons will hang up and cause grabby brakes. You may get by with a pad change, but if the pads are okay you will need to overhaul the calipers. New seals, clean pistons, etc.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Okay thanks gpfan1 I'll take a close look at the calipers too. Anything specific I should look for?

Also do they make rebuild kits for the calipers? Or should I be looking around in junkyards for em?

I really appreciate the input guys. Some day she'll be like a brand new bike thanks to you

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by eweppley
I would start by changing the brake fluid all the way around - front and rear. For all you know, it could still be the original brake fluid in there. You can do it with one can of brake fluid and it's pretty easy. Here's an exellent how-to if you are unsure:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...ge+brake+fluid

Maybe that will solve your problem and maybe not, but it's good place to start.
i agree with this, i had the same problem on my f2 where the brakes where to the point where i didnt want to use them, i changed the brake fluid on both front and back breaks and it stops like a brand new bike. the fluid should be clear and only use the Dot 4 break fluid

Old 11-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Yeah I changed out the fluid yesterday. still have the same issue though, so today I'm gonna take a look at the pads/calipers.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:29 AM

What you are looking for is build up on the pistons, usually road grime. Also, internally, the bores in the calipers can build up aluminum oxide, from brake fluid, moisture, and the aluminum in the calipers.

The calipers can be disassembled and the pistons and bores cleaned by carefully using 600 grit sandpaper with oil to get rid of buildups. Some guys use the green scotch brite pads. New seals are available from dealers or online. I'm sure there is how to around here somewhere. It is not difficult, just be very meticulous and rinse everything super clean before re assembling. Use clean brake fluid for final rinse.

Once your are done check your brakes before riding, and gradually test them out before any serious (over 20mph) speed.

The same goes for the brake master cylinder. Usually it only needs a rebuild kit since it is higher up and not down in the grit and grime.

Quick Reply: Grabby Front Brake