CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Gas smell/leak question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas smell/leak question

Ok, so for the past few weeks I have had a strong gas smell in my garage from my bike (I mentioned this in an earlier post) and today I finally had the time to go and check it out.

I pulled off all my plastics on the left side of the bike to see if I could trace the smell/leak.

First I checked the petcock, it was a bit wet but not like it was wet from leaking.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8787/C2B93B1050B6406CAE6138EAF78D598E.jpg[/IMG]

Second I took off the main left fairing and looked around the engine (see pics). I saw what I was looking for. Lots of wet spots and I could even see 2 spots where gas was dripping very slowly from (slow like a drop ever few minutes).

[IMG]local://upfiles/8787/EFD94749DB9444D58766C6DE4CC66BA7.jpg[/IMG]

Anyone out there know what I can do or need to do to fix this problem? Is this going to be really expensive or can I attempt this on my own? I am pretty mechanically enclined and can do just about anyhting if I have guidance, but I am no mechanic and would probably need someone around to give me a hand.

Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2006, 03:06 AM
Default RE: Gas smell/leak question

Well, I just had a fuel leak on mine last week also. I tracked it down to the carb on the right side just like yours. I really couldn't pinpoint it until I just pulled everything off and just put the tank back on. I came to the conclusion that the bowl was leaking. I pulled the carbs off and the bowl off. Found the gasket was dry rotted.

I ordered a new gasket kit from service honda. $29 with shipping... not sure if that comes with a whole set to do the other bowls or just one bowl. If it is just one bowl then that is expensive, but what can you do!

Hope this helps...looks like you may have the same problem.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:13 AM

Also, you should look at the T valve that feeds fuel into the carbs. It is right where the line connects... kind of a brown color and connects between the two carbs. PUll the tank off and spray the carbs down with carb cleaner and wipe them dry. Put the tank back on and check for leaks...it may take a while to see something though.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:40 AM

The Diaphram is leaking in the **** from the fuel tank and causes fuel to drip from the little pipe showing on the top thumb nail you posted

Old 08-27-2006, 12:23 PM

So it sounds as though I may have two issues I am dealing with here?

1) Carb seal could be bad causing leaking in second image.

2) Petcock diaphram is leaking resulting in minor leaks seen in first image.

Does that sound about right?

Any idea as to what can be done about #2? Do I need to replace the whole petcock or can the diaphram be replaced alone? The fix for #1 seems pretty obvious and I'm not worried about doing that myself.

Thanks everyone,

Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 PM

you have to replace the whole ****.... is the fuel on the carbs not related to the leaking petrol ****???

Old 08-27-2006, 03:59 PM

One of those dripping spots is the float bowl drain. That screw in the picture is what you loosen to drain the float bowls. It's possible that the screw is not sealing correctly against the drain allowing small amount of gas to seep through. Turn the fuel off with the petcock and remove the screw (some gas will come out until the float bowl is empty) and spray some carb clean into the hole the screw came out of. Also check the rounded end of the screw to make sure there isn't any gunk on the tip. I can't remember off the top of my head what part of the carburetor the other drip is coming from.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:23 PM

Is this the screw you're referring to?

[IMG]local://upfiles/8787/EE2D3F5CE19140CBA59030831300E3C5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 PM

When the fuel was leaking on my carb bowl it would form several drips around the bottom of the bowl, even around the drain location. Best way to confirm where the leak is coming from is to clean everything and dry as much as possible. Look for leaks and trace them.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:49 PM

Yes that's the screw. The other drip appears to be coming from your air/fuel mixture screw. Both of these screws have o-rings around them and may be leaking. Suream is right, though. It would be best to thoroughly clean the entire area with carb clean and then wait to see where the drips may be forming from. Another trick is to go buy some spray powder (aerosol deodorant will also work as long as its the kind that dries white and powdery) and spray it on the carburetors once cleaned and dried. That way whenever the leak starts again, the area that's leaking will darken in contrast to the dry, white powder everywhere else.

Quick Reply: Gas smell/leak question