CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Fork Problems! SEALS, TUBES, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Problems! SEALS, TUBES, HELP!

Hey guys, I'm trying to rebuild my f2 fork and I don't know where I went wrong. What I did was as this:

1st - Removed the 24mm bolt to drain tubes
2nd - Unbolted dampening screw at the bottom
3rd - removed clip
4th - Tried pulling the fork tube apart from the fork slider

Now here's where I'm stuck... I can't seem to get the fork tube apart from the fork slider... Why is that when I unbolted and removed everything inside the tubes itself... there's nothing in the tubes except ... nothing. I can't get access to the oil seals very easily so that's why I wanna pull apart the fork tube and slider but what the **** am I doing wrong...

-Jasper

Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Default RE: Fork Problems! SEALS, TUBES, HELP!

You need to pull three to four times hard to eject the bushing below the seal. The seal will come out on it's own once the bushing is free.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 PM

For some reason... I've been pulling for 4 hours now... and I've been pulling straight, but my hardest... it hasn't even let up... it hasn't even moved the old oil seal a hair... Am I doing something wrong? Could my bushing just be an *******?

-Jasper

May god help me... I could swap motors, do suspension, weld and stuff but I can't separate a fork tube from a fork slider... WOW............................................... .................................

I hate my life...

Old 01-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Ok, just varification.

You said you removed the "2nd - Unbolted dampening screw at the bottom". Is this the bolt on the outside of the lower tube or the bolt (6mm alan) from inside where the axle runs?

Do you have the fork piston and rebound spring (small one) out?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM

I have everything out.

Yes the 2nd part I did was the 6mm allen at the bottom of the fork slider that holds the dampening rod. I removed everything that ever goes inside the tubes/slider... yet it still doesn't want to come apart...

Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 PM

Sounds like the bushing is stuck pretty good. You could try heating up the lower tube in the area where the bushing sits. Obviously not too hot.

A friend of mine was just doing a set of forks from an old 1970 CT70, same problem. They had to strap the lower tube to a rafter, heat the tube up and yanked down really hard to get the bushing to free. It did finally come out.

Not sure if anyone else has a suggestion to add.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:57 PM

I’ve just disassemble my 1992 F2, are you pullingon the fork leg or using thefork leg as an oil seal removal tool?

(Slide the fork leg all the way in and then sharply pull it out so it taps the oil seal out ...repeat)

Dave

Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 PM

Okay here's what I did exactly...

1) I have rubberbase gloves to hold the fork tube with TWO hands firmly, very firmly with no slipping and 100% grip.

2) I had my dad hold the fork slider with leather gloves so he wouldn't hurt his hands from the mounting points for the brakes.

3) I held the fork tube with two hands, and my dad held the fork slider with two hands

4) We went opposite ways at full force 3 times on a 3 count as so... 1... 2.... 3... pull!!!

5) Still there, nothing moved, nothing happened... and now my dad has a sore thumb...

Guys... this seems really really really really gay. I'm assuming the po who had this bike never touched this bike or anything done to the front suspension. As for the heating... doesn't it cause metal to expand? Not to contract? Correct me if I'm wrong...

My god... only a press would help me but considering its hard to get a hold of both items firmly with mechanical devices that won't damage my items it seems like I'll have to come up with something cunning... F***ing a...

Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM
mrb

I just replaced my fork seals on my '93 F2 a few weeks ago. The only thing that I could see holding you up from seperating the twoare the retainer clips whichare just above the fork seals and below the dust wipers/boots on the inside of the lower forks. If this ring is notremoved, you will not be able to seperate the upper and lower fork.. Mine was pretty easy, took 2 easy pulls and they came apart.... Hope this helps

Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 AM

I used a hydraulic jack and held the lower fork slider in place and clipped on the lower tripple and jacked up the fork tube... i did it pretty strong... yet it still is stuck in there...

If I took it to a bike shop, what kind of machine do they use to removed stubborn stuff like this?

-Jasper

Quick Reply: Fork Problems! SEALS, TUBES, HELP!