CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

First sportbike, where should I start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First sportbike, where should I start?

Ok, like I said this is my first sportbike. I have always been a cruiser guy riding a 03 Fatboy. Been riding mostly newer bikes since I can remember. I have always seem to be against the sportbike because of the stereotyping, however after riding a friends found myself instantly addicted. I love the sound, the throttle response, the performance and handeling. I then found myself very attracted to the F2. The newer bike seem robotic. This bike seem pure to me. Anyway, an older bike seemed daunting but for $1500, how can I go wrong. This F2 starts right up everytime. The only mechanical issue I can see now is the smell of a gas leak, however very minimal. Also fork seals. Other than that, cosmetic. It has 32k on it. The plastics have been sprayed with I think bedliner rubbering. Real nasty looking. tank and all. I sanded the tank down to get ready for primer while I think about what to do with the plastics. Some craking in the the rear left fender, and under the upper head light cowling. My question is should i scrap these or repair. New plastic seems very expensive. Couls I get life out of these? Where should I start? Thanks for any help. NEWGUY reaching out!
Name:  026.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  163.5 KB
Name:  027.jpg
Size:  155.9 KB
Name:  028.jpg
Size:  142.1 KB

Old 05-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Im sure that the fairing could be repaired. They have fiberglass repair kits at your local automotive stores and probably even at walmart. If you sanded everything down you could paint it. Take your time and spray it yourself or just have it done for a few hundred bucks.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:47 PM

There's a book out called oddly enough "how to repair motorcycle plastics" from Whithorse press that will teach you all you need to know. The fairings you have are very repairable but do not use fiberglass!! (polyester) use urethanes on the back for strength and epoxies on the face for looks then it's just a matter of paint which is the expensive part. Everything you need is readilly available through the auto parts stores. I think that this is a great choice for a first sportbike as do many others. This bike can take lots of miles, I've ridden mine alot and far with no fear.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=6068

Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

listen, you can repair that all you want, but you gonna be stuck with the bed liner FOREVER!!! i work in a paint shop and i know that stuff sucks. dont get me wrong you can spend countless hours scraping it off and sanding and wiping but its gonna leave you with some snaggly nasty looking plastic, and if it is abs plastic any sort of laquer product will melt it, that sucks because laquer is the best way to remove bedliner, sand paper just smears it and buries it into the plastic. so From my professional standpoint i say buy some F4 plastics, retro fit them onto your bike and call it good, because you my friend have got and eternity of scraping and sanding trying to get those fairings look anything sort of good

Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 PM

I'd try getting that crap off, and if it does not work, buy a new/used set. Does not hurt to try! Btw, welcome to the sportbike world!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM

ebay. full repsol fairings striaght from the factory in hong kong... 350 bucks for thefull set

Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fairi...171|240%3A1318 <---repsol fairing for f2... i found them last night at 2am after working all day. i didnt notice the shipping price of 230$ then. But still.... 580 bucks for a whole new set... id do it... that motor could outlive these fairings... + your resale value would spike holmes

Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 PM

You guys all kinds of ROCK. Thanks...After some scraping and trying different types of sandpaper I can see that this is going to be ugly. It's vary wavy and not smooth. I think if I started with a course grade and worked my way down to finer grades with wide strokes I may get the results I'm after in about two to three years...so....Ebay it is. I will get picks up after I pick one out and slap them on. In the mean time I have two different color wheels. White rear and black/steel front. Will decide that after a plastic color scheme. Thanks all for the advice. I will keep you posted.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, welcome to the F bike family and the forum!

For the plastics, yea you could probably get the bedliner off with enough time, work, and sandpaper. I wouldn't bother. Before you go with the Hong Kong sets from Ebay, you might consider watching out for used plastics on Ebay or springing a bit extra for OEM. There are many horror stories on here for people regarding having to do some significant modding to get those Ebay sets to work. Weak mounting tabs, poor fitment, etc. Just something to consider before you dive into that route!

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM

hell if you dont want those plastics, i'll take em lol... My friend who taught me how to ride said those ebay ones are thin ABS plastic so they break easily but if you put in frame sliders, it should be fine