CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

$%!@# it fell of the %!$@# stand!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $%!@# it fell of the %!$@# stand!!

I'm literally in disbelief right now! My new (to me) F2 with a beautiful original Honda paint job fell off the stand today and, thanks to our sub-zero temps right now, shattered my front fairing like glass! I can't even think right now.

Name:  temp.temp_taken_picture_zpskszsaxct.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  temp_2.temp_taken_picture_zpss9aqgvii.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  56.7 KB

So once I settle down and can actually look at this thing without crying I'll decide whether or not to fix it or go with all new fairings. I've been researching the Chinese kits and I've heard they're getting better. I'm checking these out now, anyone buy ones similar?

Old 01-08-2015, 04:29 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try a plastic weld with a soldering iron just from the inside, not perfect, but you'd have to look very close to see it.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^This. I was surprised at how well it works. I did it to a panel on the 600rr and it took me a while to find it again once I was done with it. If those fairings are junked to you, its not going to cost anything but 20 minutes of time to try it out.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:23 PM
June 2013 ROTM

I agree with the above. You actually might be lucky it was cold and a clean break. Often ABS with deform and crack. If you can push the pieces back together and weld it, it will look fine. Sort of lucky its black.

It's a fear I had, so I removed all the fairings, save the front wheel fairing and hung them in the shed.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with all said above - Chinese fairings getting better? Maybe for other models, but for the F2, no sirreebob... it's the same crap made at the same factories, and can be a nightmare to fit right, not to mention nowhere NEAR OEM quality.

I SOOOOO feel for you right now, this really sucks!
I felt the same way when I got run off the road some years back, and trashed my then mint F2!

Old 01-09-2015, 01:05 PM

Im just curious, which stand did it fall off of? Stock side stand, stock center stand, aftermarket rear race stand or aftermarket front race stand?

Old 01-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

gutted dude! i know that feeling all too well. because it not in a 100 pieces like my tail you do have the option of plastic welding like everyone else said. I've used the soldering iron method a few times with decent results but i had a bad experience where it deformed the plastic quite dramatically once.

just a suggestion but you can get plastic weld fluids, i used some to repair a cracked air filter last week, brushes on and melts the surfaces together. cures pretty quickly as well. obviously it would ruin your paintwork but that can always be resprayed.

or another option would be fill it with a 2part epoxy.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Welcome Crew

It does seem like plastic welding is the way to go, I will remove the broken piece tomorrow and get a good look at it. Fortunately, as pointed out, it's all black so I can touch it up after the repair and polish it out.

It was sitting on jackstands actually... I realize it shouldn't have been but I thought it was sturdy enough. I have no one to blame but myself, it was ridiculously stupid on my part but you live and learn. It's just crazy this couldn't happen with one of my less attractive bikes!

Old 01-10-2015, 01:52 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

The other month I bought some broken fairings for my bike (mainly for donor plastic), junk really, but the price was so cheap I couldn't say no.

The nose fairing was split in two, so just for practice I ground back the paint and welded it together and I was surprised how well it turned out and how strong it is. So it should stand up quite well and if it breaks, then at least you've not got a load of contaminating crap to get rid of.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:33 PM

I have used Plastex to repair my son's F3 after he laid it down. I used both the white and black versions with a flexible automotive door adhesive with very good results. I had to refinish and repaint the fairings, but it turned out very well.

Quick Reply: $%!@# it fell of the %!$@# stand!!