CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Fairings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairings?

I am a new CBR owner and my bike has some scratches on the side fairings. I was thinking of getting some new ones off of ebay. I am thinking of the kits from Hong Kong that sell everything with them to include the tank. I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with these. How do you like them and how do they fit together? Also would I just be better off trying to take the parts to a body shop and seeing what they could do there? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a write up of a guy who used the 5 star kit search the f2 section

Old 10-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They dont actually come with new tanks. They are tank covers, they look really crappy once they are on the bike. If you go that route it would be better to paint your tank.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by calebjhaynie
I am a new CBR owner and my bike has some scratches on the side fairings. I was thinking of getting some new ones off of ebay. I am thinking of the kits from Hong Kong that sell everything with them to include the tank. I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with these. How do you like them and how do they fit together? Also would I just be better off trying to take the parts to a body shop and seeing what they could do there? Thanks for the help.
Hey Caleb,

I just finished installing a kit(7 stars) on my 98 f3 that i bought on ebay and thought id let ya know how it went so you know what to expect. I'm sure each bike and kit will be a bit different due to mass production but as for mine, the entire front upper/lower etc fit fine. Things lined up like they should but they were a bit tight and hard to work with at first. There might be some very small gaps, 1/8th of an inch here and there but once everything was buttoned up tight, the gaps closed and it looks good. The trouble began with the tail section which i was expecting from reading other posts but dont fear, there is a way to fix it and get it to line up without to much trouble. The main issue is the tail sections seem to be about 1/2 to a full inch short, they dont want to meet up with the front lowers just under the tank like they should. I spent about 10 bucks at the hardware store on a bunch of washers, a few 1/4inch bolts and a piece of aluminum to make 2 small 3 inch brackets and problem solved for me anyway. Not sure about the F2 but on the F3 the rear tail light bracket has the rubber plugs for the plastic side panels to push into/hold the side panels on. Basically i made 2 small aluminum brackets to move the tail light bracket forward about 1/2 inch which moves the side panels forward completely so it lines up now.

In the end you can make it work and it looks great, but you have to be patient. I will try to get some pics up this week and if you have any questions let me know.

Good Luck,

Blake

Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks guys I aprreciate it. Good information to know. I would love to see some pics Blake

Old 10-18-2009, 11:37 PM

I've never fully understood this phenomenon... Perhaps I should consult an business economist? Another hour of development time by Chinadongdong Plastic Co., and those tail fairings could be the right size, and we'd all have magically cheap plastics and glorious decently-fitting spare parts would be floating around everywhere... But they don't do it. And... I don't know why.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by calebjhaynie
Thanks guys I aprreciate it. Good information to know. I would love to see some pics Blake
Caleb,
I snapped a shot with my phone today thats pretty clear and made a thread in the f3 section after i responded to ya, take a peak!

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/ebay-7-stars-kit-finally-installed-102298/

Jimmy,

Lol i think we are all wondering the same thing, did they make the bikes in china shorter perhaps :P

Blake