CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2 Fuel Starvation?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 Fuel Starvation?

Hello everyone,
Just got back from bike week, and as usual, had a blast. Had trouble with my 1993 F2, though, and wondered if any of you have had the same trouble. Last season, I had been having a little trouble, not much, with trash from the tank getting in the carbs and getting under the float valves and making them leak at times. I cleaned the tank, carbs, and added an in-line filter. The fuel petcock was worn out- when you would go from "on" to "res" it would lock in off. I mean really lock-broke the **** off. I disassembled it and noticed that someone had installed the vacuum shutoff spring so that the fuel flowed thru the petcock at all times. I decided to replace with a whole new petcock. Cleaned the carbs again, new filter, and left for Daytona in the truck with bikes. The first morning, it ran 100ft and died. Fuel filter was empty. Pulled fuel hose, no fuel. Pulled vac hose from left carb and sucked on it, fuel flowed. Reconnected fuel hose, sucked on vac hose until filter filled, and drove bike for 75 miles without trouble.
On I95 at 80 mph, I felt bike die like I switched the key off.
At 40 mph, bike refired on its own and ran another 10 miles without incident.
Thought maybe fuel tank vent tube was restricted even though I ran a wire thru it when cleaning the tank, so I put a piece of wire under the fuel cap before closing it to assure a vented tank.
10 miles later, lost power, refired again seconds later, ran like a champ for 40 miles.
No trouble cruising around Daytona.
Had the same trouble on the return trip home at interstate speeds, but it will run great for 10, 20 or 30 miles at a time. great power and everything!
Read a post where someone had similar symptoms and it wasn't fuel but ignition and a regulator rectifier fixed it.
I am wondering if i could have a bad fuel shutoff vacuum valve in the petcock that closes whenever it feels like it, but it's a new Honda part.
Any similar experiences?
William

Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Just curious, my F2 is gravity feed. Has anyone put a fuel pump on these like Hurricanes have? I wonder if I wired in an electric pump could I at least eliminate fuel delivery? Has anyone tried this mod on an F2?
William

Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd stick with the vacuum feed petcock, my bike had a similar symptom and I believe it was flooding due to my DynoJet jet kit, which I have recently found out is a crappy kit.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of fuel filter is it? Perhaps the in/out is too small. Also, check inside your tank (from the top) with a flash light and take a look at the tube screen on the inside. That could be blocked up. If you have a tube screen and a fuel filter, I'd even suggest you take off the tube screen.

when you say the bike died, did you notice that you had to twist the throttle more to keep up your speed or did it just die like someone took out the key? When you tried to restart it, did it fire right up instantly or did it take a few cranks? No blown fuses?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Default petcock

Originally Posted by williamsergio
Hello everyone,
Just got back from bike week, and as usual, had a blast. Had trouble with my 1993 F2, though, and wondered if any of you have had the same trouble. Last season, I had been having a little trouble, not much, with trash from the tank getting in the carbs and getting under the float valves and making them leak at times. I cleaned the tank, carbs, and added an in-line filter. The fuel petcock was worn out- when you would go from "on" to "res" it would lock in off. I mean really lock-broke the **** off. I disassembled it and noticed that someone had installed the vacuum shutoff spring so that the fuel flowed thru the petcock at all times. I decided to replace with a whole new petcock. Cleaned the carbs again, new filter, and left for Daytona in the truck with bikes. The first morning, it ran 100ft and died. Fuel filter was empty. Pulled fuel hose, no fuel. Pulled vac hose from left carb and sucked on it, fuel flowed. Reconnected fuel hose, sucked on vac hose until filter filled, and drove bike for 75 miles without trouble.
On I95 at 80 mph, I felt bike die like I switched the key off.
At 40 mph, bike refired on its own and ran another 10 miles without incident.
Thought maybe fuel tank vent tube was restricted even though I ran a wire thru it when cleaning the tank, so I put a piece of wire under the fuel cap before closing it to assure a vented tank.
10 miles later, lost power, refired again seconds later, ran like a champ for 40 miles.
No trouble cruising around Daytona.
Had the same trouble on the return trip home at interstate speeds, but it will run great for 10, 20 or 30 miles at a time. great power and everything!
Read a post where someone had similar symptoms and it wasn't fuel but ignition and a regulator rectifier fixed it.
I am wondering if i could have a bad fuel shutoff vacuum valve in the petcock that closes whenever it feels like it, but it's a new Honda part.
Any similar experiences?
William
I had fuel starvation problems but it would useualy happen after it would sit over night it would start up fine run about two or three minites and die, I did find it had a problem pulling the vacuum diafram open I found that if I put a finger over the very small vent on the back of the diafram housing and start it up it would pull vacuum and open the valve after a few seconds I could let my finger off the very small vent and it would run fine all day long. I bought a petcock rebuild kit from Honda (cost $25) and thought it was fixed it ran fine for a few days then back to the same old! I ended up turning the spring around just like you found in your first petcock, its just wired open and it works great but if you do it this way dont plug up the old vacuum tube going into the pectcock it needs to be open to outside air, I had it pluged at first and had different fuel problems. Another thing I did for sometime before I wired it open was I put a small piece of duck tape over the very small vent hole on the diafram housing, it worked good but every once it awhile the tape would come lose.

-DarylCincy

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 AM

Also depending on what fuel filter you have installed, mske sure it is not too long and causing your fuel line to kink. I did that with a fuel filter, it was too long ad cut off flow whenever I installed the tank

Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 AM

I have decided that it must be the vacuum petcock. I am quite certain that it is not any electrical problem, especially since the time that it quit and I got off the bike and saw that my clear fuel filter was empty. I also know that the tube strainer in the tank is still clean. I also know that the vent tube is clear because I ran a piece of wire up thru it and I can blow thru it easily. I think I will assemble the petcock with the spring reversed so that it stays open and see if it eliminates the trouble. Hopefully my float valves don't leak!
William

Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Default petcock

Originally Posted by williamsergio
I have decided that it must be the vacuum petcock. I am quite certain that it is not any electrical problem, especially since the time that it quit and I got off the bike and saw that my clear fuel filter was empty. I also know that the tube strainer in the tank is still clean. I also know that the vent tube is clear because I ran a piece of wire up thru it and I can blow thru it easily. I think I will assemble the petcock with the spring reversed so that it stays open and see if it eliminates the trouble. Hopefully my float valves don't leak!
William
My float needles don't leak but I do turn the petcock to the off postion if I know I'm not going to ride it for a few days or more.