CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2 Forks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Dnuts never said what model bike these are going on. Jesse Awesome, the lowers are actually a little different because of the front brakes? Right. F3 floating disc. F2 not. Different wheels, cant put f3 wheel on f2 forks and vice versa. Dont want D Nuts to get mismatched parts that wont work. But you could put f3 upper and internals on f2 lowers so you could still use f2 wheel and brake calipers. Dont wanna step on no ones toes. Jesse Awesome gives alot of great advice and tips, very knowledgeable.

My statements were in regards to a full front end swap, which would include wheel, rotors, etc etc.

Makes sense for a vintage class you're restricted on technology. I don't believe anything changed in the forks from 91-93, but by sheer coincidence every F2 I've dealt with has either been a 92 or a 94, so no 91's or 93's.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:51 PM

i read somewhere the 91&92 fork tubes were 37 mm (not 100% reliable of course). the max permitted is 41 mm & i was hoping to go max. im worried that my bike is weighs way more (maybe 550). A complete 93 front end isnt easy to find though. suprising for such a popular bike how tough its been getting detailed measurements. thnx

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
My statements were in regards to a full front end swap, which would include wheel, rotors, etc etc.

Makes sense for a vintage class you're restricted on technology. I don't believe anything changed in the forks from 91-93, but by sheer coincidence every F2 I've dealt with has either been a 92 or a 94, so no 91's or 93's.

Last edited by D Nuts; 11-01-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM

If the 93 was a different diameter the 94 went back to the same diameter as 92, as I've put 94 forks on a 92 and it was a direct and simple bolt on exchange!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 AM

If I could expand the years that would be the same, it would be much easier for my part buying, but other than the 93 F2 spec, Im not confident in the 91, 92 and 94 then (94 being cartridge so thats out of the question). Theres the axles spacers and gauge issue that Im not sure whether of as well. Im looking for 41 mm though with 17 inch 120 front (2 piston caliper) and 4.5 inch rear. The swap is gonna take some finese. thnx again

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
If the 93 was a different diameter the 94 went back to the same diameter as 92, as I've put 94 forks on a 92 and it was a direct and simple bolt on exchange!

Old 11-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

91 - 98 were all 41mm forks. 91-93 are all interchangeable internally and externally. they all take the same part number for OEM oil seals - 51490-MN8-305 - Use this tool @ Ron Ayers: Where Used Tool and plug the part number in - it will list all of the 41mm honda forks that part fits.

94 is when it when to cartridge, although the 95+ cartridges are a little nicer, had better needles for tuning.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Would the rims, cush, axles & rotors all be the same

3.5/4.5 rims, 296mm rotors? I dunno about the cush or axles. Thnx

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
91 - 98 were all 41mm forks. 91-93 are all interchangeable internally and externally. they all take the same part number for OEM oil seals - 51490-MN8-305 - Use this tool @ Ron Ayers: Where Used Tool and plug the part number in - it will list all of the 41mm honda forks that part fits.

94 is when it when to cartridge, although the 95+ cartridges are a little nicer, had better needles for tuning.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 AM

No - I'm fairly sure the spacers are different, mainly due to the differences in the hub - the F2 has the speedo drive on the left side, where the F3 hub doesn't. In the rear - the F3 rim moves up to a 5" width over the F2 4.5". I believe the cush drives and axles are swappable. Rear rotors swap out.

Also - F3 is where the front wheel went from a solid to a floating brake rotor, and I can't guarantee that f3 wheel and rotors will fit in a F2 fork and calipers - they might, I simply haven't done the research. Most of the swap threads here don't tell you because you have one of 2 scenarios:

1) F2 owner wants the better F3 fork internals, without upgrading anything else. This is usually done by swapping F3 uppers and internals onto F2 lowers. F2 Wheel/brakes/speedo all stay used in this situation.

2) F2 owner wants nicer brakes, fork, wheel etc - as Jessee mentioned, the best front end that they can afford in a swap. Usually going to a USD fork in the process (Gixxer 600-1000 is a common swap.) This requires a lot more work, cause you lose the F2 speedo drive, which means a gauge swap if you want to keep a working speedo. Plus this usually means new triple, bearings, clip ons etc. Kinda pricey upgrade.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Oh, I just remembered, feel like an idiot for thinking about it.

I have a spare set of 92 F2 forks sitting in my workshop waiting to go onto a project bike. Still need that length measurement?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 AM

yes, I have to stay with pre 94 F2 as Im not pemitted to use a cartrdige style or USD fork or free floating brakes. Only 2 piston is permitted. 3.5 / 4.5 solid spoke rims permitted only as well.

I'm trying to validate whether there is a difference with rim, axle, spacer or brake related during the years of 91-93 F2. I think I saw a pick that displayed a different cush drive for a 91, but I cant be sure just by the pic.

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
No - I'm fairly sure the spacers are different, mainly due to the differences in the hub - the F2 has the speedo drive on the left side, where the F3 hub doesn't. In the rear - the F3 rim moves up to a 5" width over the F2 4.5". I believe the cush drives and axles are swappable. Rear rotors swap out.

Also - F3 is where the front wheel went from a solid to a floating brake rotor, and I can't guarantee that f3 wheel and rotors will fit in a F2 fork and calipers - they might, I simply haven't done the research. Most of the swap threads here don't tell you because you have one of 2 scenarios:

1) F2 owner wants the better F3 fork internals, without upgrading anything else. This is usually done by swapping F3 uppers and internals onto F2 lowers. F2 Wheel/brakes/speedo all stay used in this situation.

2) F2 owner wants nicer brakes, fork, wheel etc - as Jessee mentioned, the best front end that they can afford in a swap. Usually going to a USD fork in the process (Gixxer 600-1000 is a common swap.) This requires a lot more work, cause you lose the F2 speedo drive, which means a gauge swap if you want to keep a working speedo. Plus this usually means new triple, bearings, clip ons etc. Kinda pricey upgrade.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:13 PM

I'm goin to swear 99.99% that all the parts you mention are universal 91-93. OEM parts schematics back it up with matching or cross-referenced part numbers between the years.

Don't trust listings on ebay or other classified site to have the parts at a bike breaker properly listed, or displayed - I've seen a lot of things there that were incorrectly described, or the part described was not what was pictured.

Quick Reply: F2 Forks