CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Extremely easy clutchless shifting on an f2.. or is something amiss?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:28 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely easy clutchless shifting on an f2.. or is something amiss?

So I got on the highway today zipping on out to an obligation, and decided to try some clutchless shifting since it came up in a topic on a forum. I get on the highway, and go to upshift. I preloaded the shifter (pushed up) while accelerating, rolled off for half a second, and the damn thing gracefully without any noticable change at all clicked right into the next gear.

So I went about the rest of my riding to my obligation on the highway shifting withotu the clutch. I then went back on the highway to my next obligation, and I gotta be honest, It's a friggen BREEZE. No grinding, nothing. Hell I think I am causing less wear and tear shifting clutchlessly it's soooo smooth.

Is something amiss? It's unbeleivably smooth. Same goes for downshifting using the same technique.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never done it before but after reading your post i went out and tried it on my F2. Super easy. No drag or scratch or anything. I would only use it if racing though. 1 second to pull in the clutch and shift isnt worth wearing down my clutch plate. lol

Old 11-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Super easy. No drag or scratch or anything.

1 second to pull in the clutch and shift isnt worth wearing down my clutch plate. lol

See, I kind of am wondering if clutching and letting it out at a slightly improper RPM and easing the clutch a bit to eat the difference. Given how seamless and easy it is, is it really worse?

For racing perhaps, the **** does shift mighty fast :P

Old 11-07-2009, 08:23 PM

It can be extremely smooth if done correctly. If you get the pressure or the throttle wrong it will either pop into neutral or jerk a little.
I pretty much always upshift clutchless and downshift with the clutch and a rev match.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess im just really used to where my RPMs need to be to shift with a clutch and still be in my power band with almost no loss of power for even a split second. Besides it doesnt feel right for me not using the clutch. I need that hand to do something. lol

Old 11-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
1 second to pull in the clutch and shift isnt worth wearing down my clutch plate. lol
Well really when you're doing clutch less upshifts you're probably causing *less* wear on the clutch plates than if you had used the clutch because the clutch is never being engaged and disengaged and having to deal with a speed differential between the output and input shafts. What you may eventually wear out are the gears and forks in the transmission, since they are having to work harder than if the clutch was engaged. That said I know many people who clutchless shift frequently with no problems.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 AM

i pretty much never use my clutch when up shifting on my bike or on my race quad as far as hurtin the tranny ur probably causing a lil damage but nothing that i would be conserned about.as far as down shifting i use my clutch.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're doing it just right. When rev-matching properly it should be smooth as butter. I like to do clutchless a lot above second gear these days as well after seeing some discussion about it on here. Smooth = good.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM

just tried it this mornin on my way to work. Downshifting clutchless like a pro tried upshifting but maybe I am just at too low of a RPM but it wouldnt go.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 AM

I've recently tried this and up shifting is indeed very smooth.

Quick Reply: Extremely easy clutchless shifting on an f2.. or is something amiss?