CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

does an f2 have any restrictors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default does an f2 have any restrictors?

Now, I know I'm gonna get a whippin' for this, but I'll tell anyway... so here's the deal: I was driving to work this morning along a motorway at about 5:15am, and was going along a long long straight that has a little downhill. I looked around for a while: not a single soul in sight and I knew the next junction is about 2km away so I thought whatthehell, just this once, I wanna know how fast this thing goes, so I let 'er rip. It started to accelerate very fast and the needle went steadily up until it hit 220km/h exactly. It started to stutter as if the top speed would be restricted which feels somewhat odd since the speedometer is mechanical. It did howl like a wolf in heat and I was too busy looking forward so I didn't see if it redlined. my gearing is stock.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It shouldbt. ****s to old and not electronic for a governor

Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

talked to two guys today at work, who had had an f2, it was a rev limiter that cut the fun... Well, now I know how fast it goes, and dont have to try again, shouldnt beat an old bike like that anyways...

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

shouldnt beat an old bike like that anyways

You didn't beat the old girl, just rode her to what she's capable of................
Some of the Euro bikes have restrictors in the carb inlets - like a rubber ring, which cuts performance..........next time you have them off have a look for restrictor plates or rubber rings in there. I don't know about a rev limiter to that speed, but anything is possible. Is your gearing standard ?
Still 220 isn't too bad, I guess.......

Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM

^ Heh, I guess so... By beating I mean it does have about 300km to go till the whole meter turns over (100k) so the gearbox is pretty worn... But what stopped me was clearly an electrical thing cutting off the spark.

It actually got to surprise me again when I drove back home and a tractor cut in front of me pretty arrogantly from a field dragging a wide plow-thing so I had to brake pretty hard not to hit it. I waited til the few oncoming cars went past me and decided I`ll show the friggin` hayseed what I thought of his move, so, in a pretty rapid succession I went wooom *shift* wooom *shift* WOOOM *shift* WOOOMFG the front tire jumped almost completely skywards with me passing the tractor in a really flashy wheelie totally accidentally! It has NEVER had enough power to do that! I guess the morning burned some gunk from the pipe. I managed to end it like it was totally meant to be done, but I can confess it was my very first power wheelie ever! Had a stupid grin from ear to ear the next 5km or so, thinking I GOT to try that again in a controlled environment!

I have noticed that the mile-wide chicken strips left by the PO have slimmed quite a bit in the last month or so thanks to the curvy little back roads I drive to get to work

There`s actually two ways to get to Lahti from here, the other goes via Heinola and the motorway, and the other through the Pulkkila Ridge I`m itching to get to film as soon as the camera I ordered comes... It SHOULD come before next weekend, but I`m not sure cause the online parcel tracking program is not working so I can`t know for sure where it currently is...

Last edited by Mattson; 05-23-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014

Since that wheelie was unexpected, I'm glad you kept control of everything!! Otherwise, your "showing off" could have ended embarrasingly!!

By the way, like Shadow said, 220 KM/H is not bad, but something's amiss, since you should be able to get up to about 240 KM/H...if there is something wrong other than just high mileage, which is limiting you, I hope you can figure it out.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 PM

^ Yeah, thinking about that did get my heart beating for a while afterwards, somehow, without thinking I just grabbed the situation. Came down pretty hard on the front wheel, but didn't wobble or anything. That just took me by surprise cause I didn't expect it to be able to do that. I know for fact that the sprockets are stock cause I just changed them this spring, I don't remember the teething but I did check it then and they are standard. As far as something being amiss or me figuring it out, it makes little to no difference to me does the bike go 220 or 240, can drive only 120 legally here anyway, so as long as it goes I'll propably just let it be, and if the gearbox someday decides to explode, which wouldn't surprise me given that you can hear a distinctive bearing roll somewhere from the clutch when idling in neutral, then I'd propably get that fireblade and take this as a project, I like how it drives so it would be pity to scrap, these things are getting extremely rare here, I know of only one other, f3:s some more but not that many of those either...

Old 05-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014

Originally Posted by Mattson
...and if the gearbox someday decides to explode, which wouldn't surprise me given that you can hear a distinctive bearing roll somewhere from the clutch when idling in neutral...
The clutch baskets on these bikes are known to be a "little noisy", so if that's what you're hearing, and it most likely is, I wouldn't take that as a sign that there's major issues with your gearbox - that "grindy" or "rattly" noise, or whatever you want to call it, is just part of the deal with the F2s.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM

ok, I've actually read something towards that here already. It's best described to me as a rolling sound and it quiets almost completely when the cluth is being pressed. We'll see, the two guys also told me that if the engine does not fail, IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO NOT OPEN IT. It will NOT go back together right with those miles so I'll just ride the life out of it as long as she goes... Actually what worries me more than the clutch is the rattle I'm hearing from the gearbox itself when I accelerate. It's clearly caused by slack between worn cogs, but since the gears don't jump off, I think it's not a major issue at least just yet... I actually think it's funny to own a bike with so high miles. When I talk to people with kawas or suzukis and listen to them bragging about how their bikes have 30-40k which is considered pretty high here, I always get that sudden pause, a few blinks and a "what?" when I tell them I got 100k on the clock. The next q is ALWAYS what i ride...

Last edited by Mattson; 05-24-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 AM

Someone told you not to open the motor? This is like the 4th time Ive split the case

Quick Reply: does an f2 have any restrictors?