CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

to clutch or not to clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: to clutch or not to clutch?

when entering a corner fast, blip the throttle before each downshift...that makes it much smoother.

it takes a lot of practice and I'm still not good at it.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:32 AM

I did clutchless upshifts at a track school last week. Never tried it before, but why didn't anyone tell me it's so easy? Except for the little burst of 'go' when you hit the next gear, I actually found it smoother than using the clutch. This might be because I'm pretty rookie, and so don't always get on the gas at the right moment when I do use the clutch. (I think I hesitate a bit too long)

Can anybody give me a good (technical, logical) reason that a person needs to use the clutch. I followed advice previously mentioned, and just let off the gas for a split second while my foot was under the shifter. Worked like a charm, no grinding, no mess, and totally smooth, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right.

I have had experience driving big trucks (class 1 rigs) without clutches, so I understood the concept of how/why clutchless shifting works already. That being said, I'm not brave enough to try downshifts yet, as I found with the trucks you have to be a bit more precise.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Mini Me

I did clutchless upshifts at a track school last week. Never tried it before, but why didn't anyone tell me it's so easy? Except for the little burst of 'go' when you hit the next gear, I actually found it smoother than using the clutch. This might be because I'm pretty rookie, and so don't always get on the gas at the right moment when I do use the clutch. (I think I hesitate a bit too long)

Can anybody give me a good (technical, logical) reason that a person needs to use the clutch. I followed advice previously mentioned, and just let off the gas for a split second while my foot was under the shifter. Worked like a charm, no grinding, no mess, and totally smooth, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right.

I have had experience driving big trucks (class 1 rigs) without clutches, so I understood the concept of how/why clutchless shifting works already. That being said, I'm not brave enough to try downshifts yet, as I found with the trucks you have to be a bit more precise.
Absolutly right I cant believe some of the comments on this forum I even stoped reading it and presumed all you over in the states were slugs on a CBR why have a sports bike if you are not going to ring its neck every time you ride it. I read Keith Codes books on motorcycling So I would say to every one go and read them and then tell me you use the clutch . Me personal ,I breathe on the clutch to downshift with a bloody hard blip if you are stopping or braking quickly . Oh bye the way a slipper clucth is a one way mechaism thats breakes the drive on the overun to limit the effects of engine braking might cause the backwheel to lock when either off the ground 100 o/o threshold braking or when its just kissing the ground braking hard . There isn't a technical reason to use the clucth to change down these are dog boxes .