CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Cleaning Out Gas Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Out Gas Tank?

Hello,
First post here. I am doing the dirty work to get a 91 F2 running again after sitting for 10 years. It was given to me for free and is a great project as I have always wanted to learn to work on cycles. I have changed the oil, bought a new battery, and now I have the carbs off for cleaning. They seem fine, no gunk and everything moves freely. I basically have just sprayed carb cleaner on the needles and jets as instructed in the sticky carb cleaning post in this forum. I expect I will have it back together soon, and after changing the plugs I hope to get it running. My only problem is the gas tank, I took the all of the hoses and reserve tank valve off, then most of the gas came out of the tank OK.

But, I am still hearing sloshing around inside, sounds "sandy" for lack of a better word. So I expect there is some debris in there. Is this in the reserve? How do I empty that? Also, what is the best way to clean out the tank before I put fresh gas in and try to start it up?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Old 11-30-2009, 01:11 PM

I've heard POR-15 is the stuff to get. I'm sure there is a thread on coating the gas tank somewhere!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reserve is not a seperate tank it just lower on the petcock. disconect the fuel line and turn the petcock to reseve and it will all dump out.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by theCannibal
Hello,
First post here. I am doing the dirty work to get a 91 F2 running again after sitting for 10 years. It was given to me for free and is a great project as I have always wanted to learn to work on cycles. I have changed the oil, bought a new battery, and now I have the carbs off for cleaning. They seem fine, no gunk and everything moves freely. I basically have just sprayed carb cleaner on the needles and jets as instructed in the sticky carb cleaning post in this forum. I expect I will have it back together soon, and after changing the plugs I hope to get it running. My only problem is the gas tank, I took the all of the hoses and reserve tank valve off, then most of the gas came out of the tank OK.

But, I am still hearing sloshing around inside, sounds "sandy" for lack of a better word. So I expect there is some debris in there. Is this in the reserve? How do I empty that? Also, what is the best way to clean out the tank before I put fresh gas in and try to start it up?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike
The best way to clean a tank is with muratic acid. But be careful getting it on you or leaving it in the tank too long.

Also, if you use muratic acid, wear gloves, and disconnect any rubber bits from the fuel tank.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM

after you clean it i would also suggest an inline filter. there cheap and can save u from constantly having to pull the carbs off for cleaning. i just bought acouple for 3 bucks a piece. there worth it in my opinion. o and welcome to the forums.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Default your issue

The resolution is a product called "Sea Foam" google it. It is sold at just about any auto store and even walmart. Read the bottle, but it in your tank, It can be ran through, or let sit for a bit and dumped out.

I would say your issues are not mechanical. Debris getting into your tank is unlikely if you have a gascap, or maybe the bike doesnt and someone was mulching tree branches right ontop of it. but thats doubtful. Your "sandy" sound could be due to a lack of mechanical know-how. IMO if you poured the gas out and didnt see any debris, there probably isnt any. Either way, i would put some seafoam in the tank with some gas, let it sit for a while, pour it out, then refill with same, and run it. It will clear up your issues, seafoarm is also great for cleaning carbs. It will work as a stabilizer and a dryer.

hope this helps

Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 AM

OK so I finally got all the junk out of the tank, after much shaking and pouring . The only problem now is I broke the filter while trying the scape some of the crap off the inside of the tank (yeah I know that was dumb). Any idea where I can find one? This is the filter that sits in the hole for the petcock. That sounded kinda nasty.