CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

draining gas tank for cleaning.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default draining gas tank for cleaning.

hello there, i got my hands on a dent free tank but it has water in the tank and a lil rust.
i got the kreem kit. to clean and seal it but ive been reading you shouldnt use water. and the kreem system tells you to use hot water with soap and then rinse with water, lol

disreguardless of what process my real problem is i cant drain the tank completelly there is always alil left inside, how do i take that out completelly, i got a lil pump but is useless,

any ideas? this is pissing me off. lol

im about to get a pipe and suck it out of there with my mouth....

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM

use alcohol and itll rape all the water molecules. but you must have as lil water in the tank as possible. either that or get a chitload of alcohol.

rubbing alcohol

trust me it works

if you dont believe me then just put more fuel in the tank and then drain, repeat repeat until its all gone. that should get most of the water out

Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 PM

yeah alcohol will get rid of the water real nicely

Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

You can always just shove a rag down inside and use a screwdriver to push it around to soak up the remaining liquid. Turn the tank upside down to get the rag out. The use an air hose with some high volume air blown inside to dry it out the rest of the way. No magic.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idodirt
You can always just shove a rag down inside and use a screwdriver to push it around to soak up the remaining liquid. Turn the tank upside down to get the rag out. The use an air hose with some high volume air blown inside to dry it out the rest of the way. No magic.

Actually, you should still go the alcohol way, imo. I've been hearing a lot of horror stories lately about about people ending up with all kinds fuel system problems relating to the fact that the government has been subsidizing/mandating ethanol and gasoline blending.

Since ethanol is essentially alcohol, it sucks all of the moisture out and can wreak havoc on an older fuel system. I've heard about it mostly on boats, but the idea is that the ethanol pulls all the water out of rust and leaves the it very brittle and the moisture collects in your tank, fuel lines, pump, whatever. The brittle rust breaks up and you can end up with rust bits in your system and it can tear it up bad. It also dissolves any varnish that may have built up in your fuel system, but I'm not sure that would be an issue though unless it clogged your jets or something on the way out.. Generally I would think that would just pass through and burn out; perhaps so.

I have a buddy that just spent a couple grand having his FI system re-built on a Honda 4-stroke outboard engine from this very problem and apparently there has been a HUGE rash of this type of issue, particularly in marine engines.

Bottom line is, if I were you I'd take the extra time to get every bit of moisture and rust out of the tank. To me, that means a good bit of pure alcohol to draw all that moisture out and hopefully break up some rust.

I don't know if there's any good way to get in and break up the rust as much as possible, all I can think of is a stiff wire brush. Anyhow, there's my 2 pennies.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Actually, you should still go the alcohol way, imo. I've been hearing a lot of horror stories lately about about people ending up with all kinds fuel system problems relating to the fact that the government has been subsidizing/mandating ethanol and gasoline blending.

Since ethanol is essentially alcohol, it sucks all of the moisture out and can wreak havoc on an older fuel system. I've heard about it mostly on boats, but the idea is that the ethanol pulls all the water out of rust and leaves the it very brittle and the moisture collects in your tank, fuel lines, pump, whatever. The brittle rust breaks up and you can end up with rust bits in your system and it can tear it up bad. It also dissolves any varnish that may have built up in your fuel system, but I'm not sure that would be an issue though unless it clogged your jets or something on the way out.. Generally I would think that would just pass through and burn out; perhaps so.

I have a buddy that just spent a couple grand having his FI system re-built on a Honda 4-stroke outboard engine from this very problem and apparently there has been a HUGE rash of this type of issue, particularly in marine engines.

Bottom line is, if I were you I'd take the extra time to get every bit of moisture and rust out of the tank. To me, that means a good bit of pure alcohol to draw all that moisture out and hopefully break up some rust.

I don't know if there's any good way to get in and break up the rust as much as possible, all I can think of is a stiff wire brush. Anyhow, there's my 2 pennies.
thanks but reality is that the hole is so lil that you cant use a brush.
im going to get a rag and dry it out, then some alcohol. then im going to use the kreem kit i bought.

thanks guys.
ill keep it posted after i do so to see how it came out.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I have a feeling that you're going to be fine with what you're doing. Keep us posted. Take photos if you can.