CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Choke - any idea what this could mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke - any idea what this could mean?

Hi everybody,

Quick question- I live in a very mild climate, and I can get my bike to start with the choke on. However, when I take the choke off, it dies immediately. I'm pretty new to this... Any ideas what the problem could potentially be?

Thanks for your time and any ideas you might have.

-Greg

Old 06-05-2007, 04:20 AM
Default RE: Choke - any idea what this could mean?

Apparently there is a vaccuum line between the fuel petcock and the carbs which needs to be connected and free of leaks. I would check that out since that line is mandatory for fuel delivery.

Maybe pull out your plugs and check the condition/gap....

If those are ok possibly check your fuel filter and fuel lines.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:22 AM

You might want to check the idle adjustment screw and make sure you idle isn't set so low that it justs stall when it's off choke...also is your petcock on the tank side of the switch when there is little fuel in the tank, if so switch to reserve side.

hope that helps..

Old 06-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your responses. I feel like it may have something to do with the idle adjustment choke now, because I remember my friend screwing around with it so much that I have no idea what it's set to now. Still, the bike usually dies before I get a chance to figure out where its actually supposed to be.

Should messing around with the idle adjustment screw change the RPMs while the choke is on? Also, is there a way to figure out what it should be set to without having the bike actually running?

My current situation is that I can usually get the bike to start with the choke on, and it will idle there between 1500-1000 rpms (usually on the lower end), and then die as soon as move the choke even slightly. I checked the vaccum line and it looks good. Plenty of gas.

Does the fact that the bike starts and runs with the choke on rule out electrical problems at least? I guess my next step will be to check out the spark plugs...

Once again, thanks so much for your time, and sorry I am still pretty ignorant about all this stuff. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated..

Old 06-06-2007, 05:17 PM

I had the same problem, mine was adjusting the idle. Try and turn it one way and see if that works. If not, turn it the other way alot and see what that does. Worst case is, keep track of how much u turned it each way, and youll always be right back where u started.

If you can it to idle high, then u can turn it down and be alrigh. might be worth a shot.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my first bike... '94 CBR600F2 last Friday.

I haven't seen it run yet and I'm having the same problems as you, but I know that mine has been sitting 2 years or so since the last time it ran. I plan on draining the 2 yr old gas and checking the carbs and plugs. I just picked up the battery for it. I'm hoping to get it up and running this weekend, assuming I have the time. I'll let you know if it works for me.

I did note, that during the process of trying to get it running, I accidentally unscrewed the idle screw until it came out. There is very little resistance when this occurs...you mught want to check to make sure your friend didn't do the same.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM

I don't know if this is normal for all CBRs, but on mine when first started with the choke, it will run at 1,500-2k for a few seconds then will start to rev to maybe 4k. At this point I move the choke to about 3/4, just enough to get the RPMs back down to the 1,500-2k range. For there I let it sit for 30 seconds or so and take the choke off completely. If it sounds like it will die, I just give it a little gas and it's fine from there. So, if I had the same problem, I would mess around with the idle adjustment ever so slightly and see if the RPMs pick up when turning the adjustment one way or the other. I do know that it doesn't take much at all to get the bike to idle 500rpms more than it should just by barely touching the adjuster. (I found that out really quick)

Old 06-09-2007, 03:12 PM

everyone is being really technical about this. but what if its something as simple as your not letting it run with the choke on long enough? he said he's new to the choke thing so maybe he doesn't know what to do. let it run a little while longer then take off the choke, and yes check the idle adjustment as others have said.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 AM

that happened to my bike once, someone was screwing around with my idle ajustment and turned it down too far and it acctually came unscrewed, had to take my tank off and air box to see where it screwed in at, finally found it, screwed it back in place and put my biek back together. That fixed the problem. turn your idle ajustment clockwise, if it feels like it is getting tight then it should be in place. But if it turns freely then more than likely it isn't even connected. see if that works.