CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Chewing on a bolt

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chewing on a bolt

Well, guys, looks like my jumping out of 1st and 2ndaround 5K has taken a turn for the worse. Now I'm gettinga noise to go with it. And as you might have already guessed, it sounds and feelslike it's chewing on a bolt. From what I can tell, it's not coming from the engine - rev's nice and smooth while sitting in neutral. And strangely, with the bike off and just pushing it around in neutral you still kinda hear/feel it, though it's most noticable while riding. Before I go ripping the tranny out and forcing myself back on my bicycle for a while [:@], anybody have any leads as to what else might be causing this?

After re-reading tao's post about his chain (https://cbrforum.com/m_480646/tm.htm) I've considered this as a possibility, as his description of the noise matches closely, and my chain has already been a problem before. It could definatelyuse a new one with a fresh set of sprokets, I'm sure. But at this point, I don't really know where to start.

Do they sell complete transmission kits? I'm not against the idea of a new cable, clutch, transmission, chain and sprockets all replaced at the same time.There'd be peace of mind with a whole new drivetrain.

And the engine and transmission share the same oil, right? Let's hope the transmission isn't really chewing on a bolt and feeding it to the engine. Could draining it and checking for particles give me a peek as to what's going on inside both?

What should be my next move? I'm dyingto go on some adventures around the island, but I need to make sure it'll get me home.

As always, thanks for your input.

- rey

Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Default RE: Chewing on a bolt

change the oil, look for any metal specks like you said. Maybe if you're going to get a new chain anyway and are going to lay the bike up for a while, just take the chain off and see if you still get any noise running it through the gears on a stand or something. It could be gears, but if I were to just call a hunch I'd say its a clutch issue.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Thanks Elmer.

Warmed it up, and pulled out the dipstick for a cheating peek at the oil before I drain it. Nice clear amber color, nothing unusual - no particles, so far. Hope that's a good sign.

I noticed there's a lot of chain slack at the back of the rear sprocket, though it's pretty taut top and bottom. Looks like I should probablystart with those - that chain needs to go.

You think it's a clutch issue for the jumping out of gear, too?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM

oh, so it jumps out of gear too?
I don't think a problem with the clutch would cause it to do that. what gears does it jump out of? Does that happen when you are just going down the road or when shifting? You could have a bent shift fork which would require some fairly intense surgery. Swing by the Off Topic section and look at thirdgenlxi's thread about having a lot to do to his bike this weekend, he was just in his transmission replacing some parts. Might be worth looking at for you.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Cool, thanks pal. I'll check out that post in a min. It jumps out of one and two back to neutralaround 5K. I've gotten used to shifting around it, so that part doesn't bother me all that much,hopefully it's not doing any major damage leaving it as is right now. That new noise was my latest concern. Took it for a quick ride today (yes I know I'm crazy - willing to ride it with the noise it makes), not as loud as it was last night. But still making me think it might be time to rebuild the transmission.

You guys know of any full transmission kits available? Something good, I don't want to have to do this again in a few years.

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM

It's probably just the 1st-2nd shift fork. I'd download the service manual and probably plan on pulling the engine and separating the transmission. But I wouldn't think you'd need to worry about the other gears. As far as i know there isn't a single "kit" that you could get. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:24 PM

That shift fork and I have already met in the troubleshooting section of my manual. But if I have to open upthistransmission, even just once, everything I can replace, will be. May seem a bit redundant, but Isuspect this bike hasbeen ridden pretty hardby it's previous owners. I intend to keep it and I want it perfectlydependable, period,so I don't mind anything I touch turning new. Chain and sprockets, clutch and cable too.

I refuseto be strandedsomewhere on the island like my POScars used to leave me(unless of course I forget to put gas in it again LOL).

Tranny kits anyone?? Suggestions on good clutches? Cables, C & S?

I'm listening.

Thanks,

- rey

Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM

have you drained the oil yet? imo if it was a tranny problem it would have metal slivers in it.
and what exactly is the noise? try to describe it and where its coming from if you can

i agree with the shiftforks idea so far

Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM

whoops, double post

Old 02-20-2008, 05:37 PM

No such thing as a tranny kit. Break the cases and start looking for wear on the parts. Anything that is out of spec or looks worn should be replaced.

Quick Reply: Chewing on a bolt