CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Chain Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Question

Hey I am a new CBR owner and it is time to replace the chain. I have a few questions out there for you. First, should I replace the sprockets as well? Second, what is a good brand to replace the chain with, also please include the size if you can or a link. Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 AM

Its always a good idea to replace the sprockets with the chain because they kinnda form to each other. RK makes really good stuff. I have an endless chain which I trust alittle more, eventhough it was a bit of a pain to put on. And as far as sizes go, it just depends on what you want. More topend, better take off or just stock?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:28 PM

I dont replace the sprockets with the chain. Each have different wear pattern. Unless your teeth are getting ground down, or you want to change your gearing, no need for the change, maybe you have money lying around. I use a race-lite AFAM chain with O-rings.

Ill give you some advice on chains and gearing though. there are 2 types of chains O-ring (X-ring Y-ring) and Non-O-ring. The O-ring keeps grease, lube, wax (w/e you use) inside the chain, where as the other does not. Lube = longer life. The race-lite i use is made with durable compounds but lighter for race purpose, it will need to be replaced quicker though, but it gives me the option to change my sprockets every track day/race, based on which course im running.

If you are not going to the track, or have intentions of it, I dont see the need for a 520 conversion or any gearing change, because you are using it to toot around on for fun, and not concerned with having power in specific ranges of rpm.

You can google how many links you need, it will tell you based on your bike/year. Id say your going to need around 108 links, unless you have a crazy gear setup in mind.

Regardless of what you will do with your bike track/race/street or which gearing you use, keep in mind you will need about 1''-1 1/2'' "play" in your chain. If it is too tight, your chain will bind, basically eliminate your rear shock, and what its made to do, and the only chance of rear suspension will be through your tire. A tight chain will also help grind down your sprocket teeth.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:58 AM

Thanks guys. I am only using my bike basically to get back and forth to work and every once and a while I take it on a little trip. But no track and not really looking for speed more for practicality. Thanks

Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Has anyone bought a chain off ebay and if so was the chain ok?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM

I obviously haven't but let me know

Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Is the chain used? New? Where is the link? If u send me a link I can let you know, but people dont usually sell used, If i was you i would put my money into a new chain, it wont cost an arm and a leg.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by calebjhaynie
Thanks guys. I am only using my bike basically to get back and forth to work and every once and a while I take it on a little trip. But no track and not really looking for speed more for practicality. Thanks
It's understandable why NeedHracing feels that the sprockets and chain have different wear patterns because of the environment he's using his bike in. If he's changing sprockets and chain for each track environment he's in (which shows he's in tune with how his bike performs), it makes sense he would see it that way.

However, for the vast majority of street riders, we ride our bikes for long periods of time and miles, 15, 20 or 25K miles. The chain and sprockets do wear as a set. If you change only one of them, then that new part is going to wear faster. I'd give it some additional consideration before just replacing the chain. The sprockets are not that much more.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Great advice thanks

Old 12-02-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by roys654
Has anyone bought a chain off ebay and if so was the chain ok?
I bought an ebay chain a while back on my old f2, it was red and around 50$. I beat the bike a lot and it was geared up 11 in the back, and never had any problems with it.

Quick Reply: Chain Question