CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Chain oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chain oil

Yup, has virtualy, NO CUSH !!!!!!!!!! There have been lots of articles over the years, and magazine forum questions about wd and o-ring chains... w/ more than a few replying...WD40, is not good for o-rings. To each his own. Take'n wd's word, is like ask'n Clinton, if he had sex w/ "that girl"!!!!!!!!!!! Get online to chain lube manufacturers, they have the skinny. Check out other forums, they ask the same Q's. I have read repeatedly, that wax, dosen't have the cushioning ability eather, of "lube". I can't change what is posted in major motorcycle magazines and other than honestly answering, an honest Q, could care less, what lube someone uses.
This topic, is as polarizing as"whats your favorite oil"? DAD, (my Hero) Have any knowledge on this topic????
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.. didnt mean to start a fued lol.. but great info non the less. So from what Ive read its best to clean the chain w/ WD40 and then lube with maxxim lube. My chain is in good shape I just want to keep it that way before it starts to rust and go bad. Thanks for all the info. thats exactly why I come to this site all the time..

Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM

Well, I got online and looked... apearently, the prob "is"... The wd40 PENATRANT, does just that... can soften o-rings, and get past em. Invading the factory roller lube, thinning it out and squeezing out past the afflicted 0-rings, in the long run. Hardly perceptable by eye, w/ all that dirt, lube, exetra.But it happens gradualy... Insidious. It is said... others (like lps) dont do the harm. I also say a few thing about chain wax not having the "cushion" of a lube. I always "error" on the side of caution. It was interesting that the R/C (radio control) people had shear brazen contempt for wd40 also. And the beat goes on... Clean and free, ripp'n

Old 08-14-2006, 01:33 PM

good information folks...just keep it nice and clean...

my only question is...

24,000 miles off a 525 on a 1000cc? no doubt it's a DID chain with that mileage...but other than this...it's either an awesome mutant DID chain or you've been running it on the rear stands like ferris bueller mang!

Old 08-14-2006, 04:40 PM

so should i also mention that its -2 on the front sprocket? mileage on a chain is always dependant on how you treat the chain. if your constantly giving it abrupt bursts of power or hitting it hard with wheelies or drag racing you are gonna strech it out quickly. if you keep it clean and ride it normally without the abruptness of your average newb rider your chain will last a pretty long time. sure i get on it occasionally on the back country roads, but i easily roll on the throttle instead of slamming it down to second gear and nailing the throttle like others i know of. plus at being -2 on the front, i dont have to drop as many gears to get the same effect as a stock bike.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:42 PM

and yes, its a DID chain. i have about 6K on it now and its only had 1 adjustment since i put it on.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 PM

damn...you just added more incredibleness to the already incredibleness...-2 up front! CRAZY MILEAGE MANG!

I knew i had to be right about it being a DID...hahaha...

Old 08-14-2006, 05:16 PM

I havn't had wd-40 dry out on me yet. I put it on after every ride (if its 200+ miles) and I often touch the chain before I put on the wd. Guess what its still a little slick. I know its not the best but I hate wax, I use to race MX and wax was the worst stuff for chains, IT would collect dust, dirt and rocks. I figure if I keep up on my chain I will have a long lasting chain, I always make sure its within spec and lubed (or wd cause its not lube...)

I havn't found my o-rings to submerge yet but I will work on it and take lots of pictures.

Why do you guys like Wax and also, how often do you wax and clean along with do you find that your chain looks dirty after road trips?

(I did about 500+miles this weekend and my chain looks clean as a whistle...)

Old 08-14-2006, 07:19 PM

you really dont have to worry about dirt and rocks if youre on a street bike and keep it off of the dirt roads. about every 200-500 miles is a good interval for a chain if using wax. the good thing about the wax is that it seals around the rings really well and keeps out ALL dirt if properly maintained.

as fo the cain life. hell my neighbor with a busa gets about 20-24K miles on his before needing the chain replaced. he launches hard alot on top of that from redlights and is -1 up front.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:25 PM

AND...it must be a DID.

Quick Reply: Chain oil