CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Chain oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chain oil

a friend of has the cleanest chain in the world...cleans with WD40, the lets it dry and then sprays chain lube over it...

yea it doesn't lube for very long...

Old 08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikequinn

Don't use WD40 on 'O' ring chains, it drys the rubber ring out and causes it to crack,
bull****, it will NOT damage your o-rings at all. the only diffrence between WD-40 and a chain lube is the chain specific lube has a compound added to thicken it up so it will stick to the chain better. if you use only WD-40 it will all fling off with in 50 miles because it is so thin and will leave your chain unprotected.

WD-40 or PBBlaster are the best things you can spray on your chain to clean it. once its cleaned off use a good chain wax to seal it in and let it dry till it gets sticky, so that it doesnt all fling off. (give the bike a 5 minute ride before applying the chain wax so the chain is hot)

the best chain way out there is the Maxima brand wax. it sells for about $10 a can at your local motorcycle dealership. once the chain wax is sprayed on take a rag and wipe off the excess. let the bike sit for about 15 minutes so the chain and wax cools off and get sticky. youre ready to ride and you wont have any fling at all.

if you REALLY want to get that ghain squeaky clean take it off and let it soak in a small bucket of kerosene. once its clean, put it back on and give it a coat of chain wax.

and yes i usually average about 24,000 miles form a 525 o-ring chain on my 1000 cc bike.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:53 PM

Don't talk like you look WD40 f**ks up o ring Fact
the only thing WD40 IS good for is cleaning it . IT IS NOT A LUBE

Old 08-12-2006, 12:33 AM

ORIGINAL: mikequinn

Don't talk like you look WD40 f**ks up o ring Fact
the only thing WD40 IS good for is cleaning it . IT IS NOT A LUBE

prove it. many chains and MANY miles of use from me and my wife on both our bikes have to say otherwise. not to mention the hundreds of customers that get their chains cleaned daily at dealerships across the country.

show me a chain/o-rings that were damaged by wd-40 and ill send you $20 for proving me wrong.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html
oh lookie here... its a lubricant and a cleaner and a rust preventative. everything a bike chain needs all in one.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html
and heres the FAQ about it and what its designed to do.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So... If wd40 didn't fling off, in 50 miles... it would be good chain lube, 'cause it's the same as chainlube, just not sticky??????? MikeQ, not much reason to argue w/ him... Time better spent, fighting that insidious scam... CHAIN LUBE !!!!!!!!!!!!! How short sighted of the wd people, to not just make thicker wd40!!!!!! It's two, two, two products, in one !!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-12-2006, 01:00 PM

regular chain lube isnt sticky either, its just thicker. chain wax is the sticky stuff that doesnt fling off (unless you dont wipe the excess off then it makes a HUGE mess)

Old 08-12-2006, 01:51 PM

This is good sh#t, good debates going on here [8D], my 2 cents worth I "CLEAN" with WD-40 then lube with "MAXIMA" synthetic chain gaurd, use it on my f2 and my dirt bikes, ya I still get the fling, but I use the WD-40 to clean it off the plastics by the front sprocket and left side under my seat I agree with 02 gsxr hybrid about the WD, its good stuff

Old 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM

Thats all its good for cleaning, If it was meant to lube chains the chain manufacturers would recomend it, and DO They DO they f**k
you show me a chain manufacturer that recomends WD40 as a lube and I'll give you £20,
I'd rather wipe up the mess knowing i'll get a few more thousand miles outta my chain using REAL LUBE

Old 08-12-2006, 02:13 PM

Hell I bet the chain manufacturers have a stake in the chain lube biz, of coarse they arent gona recomend somthing they aint gona get money off of, any way how much is L20 worth??? ( in American) I dont have that little Euro L on my key board

Old 08-12-2006, 02:54 PM

They don't recomend it cause it cant cope with the extreme pressure put on the chain roller bushes FULL STOP
& £20 is worth a lot more than your $20 we're talking 20pounds

Quick Reply: Chain oil