CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Chain oil

Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain oil

Kind of a nub question here.. but what type/kind of oil do I use for my chain. My bike has been siting out in the weather with no cover for the whole summer and we've had alot of rain. Also, do you think that the rain would effect my chains oil at all?

Old 08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Default RE: Chain oil

good old fashioned gear oil (EP90), the downside of it all is that it will fling off making a mess, so once you have lubed the chain wipe as much as you can off, and you'll hear & feel the difference staight away, it's tons better than all that spray stuff & cheaper too, its great for the climate here in the UK with all that rain, the other alternative is to go for 'WURTH Dry chain lube' its what the racing boys use here, but make sure your chain is cleaned properly before you put it on.[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 AM

It would probably be a good idea to get a new chain (and might as well get new sprockets if they have some mileage on them). The chain probably has alot of rust on it and could be a hazzard. O rings could be weathered also.
The chain is very important and you should keep it in good shape, if it snaps your leg is gonna get tore up or like my friends did and bust up the engine case.

As far as the lube/oil goes, I am currently using PJ1 Blue Label, but have a can of Silkolene that I'm gonna try when this is gone. Some prefer the "chain wax", but I have always used the spray can and don't have any complaints.

I would recommend getting some that is "clear" and/or "no fling". I hate cleaning my chain and lubing it and seeing all the white residue from the lube, and you don't really want that crap getting all over you jacket and clothes.

If you have a Cycle Gear near by check them out, they are a great help to newbies, and help answer any questions you have. Atleast thats how they are here in Oklahoma.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:31 PM

Why dont you clean your chain??
even the pj1 holds road dirt & when you re lub your just forcing all the dust and road grit deeper into the roller bushes

Old 08-10-2006, 04:40 PM

I use wd-40 (you can buy in a can that poors). I put it on after about 200ish miles or every ride.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Don't use WD40 on 'O' ring chains, it drys the rubber ring out and causes it to crack,

Old 08-10-2006, 08:10 PM

See I have heard that before, but I have been putten it on dirtbikes forever (with out o rings granted) and then again, if I lube all the time with wd even if it does dry out o rings I still lube it every 200ish miles. So I see your point but I have to disagree, also I don't believe there is any scientifice proof. I will take an extra o ring from a chain and submerge it in wd-40 for a couple of days and then pull it out and let it sit in the sun.

Once I get the results I will tell yea bout em.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:16 PM

I use kerosene and a "grunge brush" to clean mine. You can get the brush at the bike shop.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 PM

[sm=badidea.gif]
WD 40 isnt a lube so there's your scientific proof already, It's a water dispersant. it only lubes for a short term
it dries and forms a protective film.
anyway I'm not going to get into a heated debate what you use, it's your preference .
how many times do you change your chains??
long term on a bike chain can be 3 months leave to 'o' ring in the sun for that long, listen to someone who knows about these things, but dosent know everything

Old 08-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, you nailed it. WD40, has absolutly no cushioning effect eather. I used to use it... it's amazing, how much better the bike feels, w/ real chain lube. It seems to feel smoother, shifting also. Sorry guys, that chainwax isn't known for it's cushioning ability, eather. I like maxxim. Clean and free, Ripp'n

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chain oil