CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

CBR sounds like diesel truck engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CBR sounds like diesel truck engine

Hi guys,

I just picked up a 92' CBR 600 F2 (traded my pocket bike for it ). It was in horrid condition, but the frame was straight and the engine had good compression. I cleaned the carbs, fuel tank and fuel lines and got it to start right back up. However, I noticed this really loud clicking/clattering noise from my engine. It comes from the right side of my engine and I suspect its the all too common, cam chain tensioner problem. My 92' model unlike most CBR's has the hydraulic oil cam tensioner. It works through oil pressure. I took it out, cleaned it out and filled up my oil but still it makes that god awful sound. I'm using 10w30 oil and so I think my problem is the viscosity is too low? Maybe the oil doesn't have enough thickness to create that hydraulic pressure? One thing I noticed is that when the engine is cold for the first minute or so, it doesn't make any sound at all. So maybe when the engine is colder, the oil is thicker. I'm wondering if I should refill my bike with 20w-50 oil. Btw, my engine has 43xxx miles on it. Please let me know if you guys have had the same issues.

Thanks,

-Subyman1440

Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Cam chain tensioner could still be bad. Replace the cam chain tensioner with a new one or an aftermarket adjustable one. Problem solved...

Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if she's sounding like a diesel truck it could be a few things... Mine sounds or sounded like that, i'm not sure i fixed a bunch of **** this winter so it could have been one of these

Air leaks in the intake
Carburator air leak
Air/Fuel ratio screw mis adjusted
Bad air filter
Bad Spark Plugs
Bad spark plug wires
Bad ignition coils
and a bad cct

soo it might have been one of those lmao

Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Sounds like a bad CCT.

Is the clatter always there? Does it change if you rev the engine? Clutch lever in or out? and how about in different gears?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 PM

The sound only comes when the engine is warm. Once it's warm, the sound is there through all the rpm ranges. Gets louder and faster when I rev it. I rode it down my block and The sounds from the exhaust muffles it at high end. Clutch in or out, it still makes that noise in all gears. I'm positive that the cct is fine, I've taken it apart and put it back together and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I am really stuck :O Do you guys think the thickness of the oil is the problem?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it could be due to thin oil, I'd still replace the cct with a mechanical one.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:01 AM

+1 on cct good luck

Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 AM

Mine had similar but not the same issues with the cct, was reALLy noisy on start up. Throw on a manual cct and you shouldn't have any more problems.
10w40 oil is what f2's run but 10w30 will work for now, wouldn't go any thicker.

Nice pick up btw, Congratz.

Last edited by RedBaron; 12-22-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM

hm, that is strange..

Is the sound coming from the upper end of the engine near the valve cover? or on the lower end near the clutch cover? Isolating the sound might help the diagnosis.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 PM

The sound is coming from the right side of the engine. Not so much from the valve cover. It's coming from the cct area. Also, I forgot to mention that my bike overheats because the fan won't work and my temp gauge is also not working. The sound gets louder as the bike gets hotter. So I'm guessing that after I fix the fan and the oil doesn't get so hot, it'll stop making the noise? What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: CBR sounds like diesel truck engine