CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

CBR dumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR dumping gas

It seems like every time I lane split, my bike starts to hate me and decides to maybe "warn" me? I'm not a very superstitious person, but this bike has been giving me lots and lots of signs lately. I'm thinking maybe it's time to let it go lol. Anyways, enough of the small talk and I'll get to the point.

My bike started to hesitate and I started smelling lots of gas on the freeway. No good, so I exited and my bike started sounding like a Volkswagen Vanagon. I look on the left side of my bike where the carb meets the intake manifold and it's like Niagara falls, literally...If I remember correctly, my #1 cylinder was submerged in gasoline and I could see the gasoline gushing and spewing out of where the carb meets the block. It was losing gas very very fast. I lost almost a quarter of a tank before I finally figured out...turn the petcock to the "off" position!

Next, I try to start the bike for a good minute or two with the throttle wide opened and the petcock in the "off" position and it's gradually came back to life. I rode it around in the "off" position until I burned up all the fuel in the bowls. I then flipped it to reserve mode and the problem disappeared...

Like I said earlier, this exact incident happened to me twice, and it was in the midst of lane splitting. My theory is that when I ride over the lane divider where it's really bumpy, the carb floats get violently shaken up and down and the floats get stuck? My bike rides like it never even happened

Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 AM

Floats may be sticking or could be knocking some trash loose In there?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely +1 on stuck floats - when was the last time you had the carbs off for a good cleaning?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM

this might and i mean help. empty tank pour carb cleaner. in uk we have redex. start bike will probably run rough with white smoke. hey presto done

then there is the right way those carbs have to come off. even if the look clean clean them. and belive me the performance increase is worth it.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Well, I did pour Seafoam 2-3 weeks ago. Last time I cleaned my carbs was 2 months ago. When I opened my carbs last time, they were spotless clean. No gunk or nothing.

Not sure what more I can do. I will try to run a bottle of injector/carb cleaner in for the next few fill ups. But I doubt my carb bowls are dirty. I will visually inspect the actual floats when I have time next week.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 AM

Ok if it's one carb leaking try swapping the float needles. Ie put the needle from one into 4. If 4 leakes means your needle is the fault. Also b4 putting the needles back quick polish on 4 metal bits on the needle. Ear bud in the place were the needls sit. That's what I did. Hope u get it sorted