F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

02 f4i dumping fuel out exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 f4i dumping fuel out exhaust!

NEED SOME HELP WITH MY BIKE.I HAVE AN 02 F4I 5,000 MILES.BEEN SITTING FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND WITH MY NEGLECT I DID NOT STABALIZE THE FUEL IN IT. I DRAINED THE TANK CLEANED THE PLUGS ADDED SOME FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER TO A GALLON OF GAS AND IT FIRED UP.I HAD TO KEEP MY HAND ON THE THROTTLE AND KEEP REVED UP TO KEEP IT RUNNING.A WHOLE LOT OF WHITE SMOKE AND GAS WAS COMING OUT THE PIPE.AFTER I SHUT IT OFF GAS JUST STARTED DRIPPING OUT THE HOLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STOCK PIPE.I HAVE A RED INDICATOR LIGHT THAT IS ON NEXT TO THE NUETRAL INDICATOR. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE INJECTORS SHOULD BE SUSPECT SINCE THE OLD FUEL WAS LIKE VARNISH WHEN I DRAINED THE TANK. CAN SOMEONE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.WHAT SHOULD I DO BEFORE I THINK ABOUT PURCHASING NEW INJECTORS. WHERE IS THE POWER COMMANDER LOCATED SO I CAN TRY AND RESET THAT."IF THAT IS AN OPTION" PLEASE HELP!!!!THE WEATHER IN CALIFORNIA IS GREAT AND WANT TO HIT THE STREETS SOON!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Default RE: 02 f4i dumping fuel out exhaust!

First I'd check for spark at all four cylinders, if one or more cylinders aren't getting any spark, then the unburnt fuelcould be dumping into the exhaust. If that's not the case then check out your fuel pressure regulator and the vacuum lines going from it to the throttle bodies, if that needs to be replaced it could be the cause of your troubles. The old fuel could cause the fuel lines to rot or seals in the fuel system to go bad, but I'd check out the first two suggestions I had before you start pricing injectors, go with the free diagnostic procedures before you start buying random parts to try to fix the problem, that can get expensive! You can't really "reset" the Power Commander, you can change the maps on it though. If it's the Power Commander III USB system then you can just hook it right up to a laptop with the PC software and mess with it that way. If the bike has one, the module will probably be located under your passenger seat and it should be easy to spot if the bike did come with one from the previous owner. And please don't type in all caps, there's no need to yell.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the info. I will be getting into the bike in the next couple of days.Might just replace the for starters. where can i pick them up. This might sound stupid...but will the auto parts store carry them? I know they carry some parts. I did a basic oil change with there parts.Thanks again for the help!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: smashndubs

Might just replace the for starters.
What is it that you'll be replacing? The auto parts stores are pretty useless when it comes to getting bike parts, unless you're after headlights, spark plugs or basic cleaning/lube chemicals (except for oil!). I'd suggest a local Honda stealership for OEM parts, or http://www.ronayers.comhas some pretty decent priced OEM parts as well.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Must have been late...I was talking about replacing the spark plugs.They looked really dirty when i pulled them.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM

Oh, ok, well you could try to clean them up a little bit, but if you think they do need to be replaced the NGK part # is IMR9A-9H, Checker Auto Parts (Schuck's, Kragen) has it listed for 18.99 per plug, and Ron Ayers has it listed for 21.59 per plug. Other auto parts stores in your area may have them, I'd just call around and check prices.They are pretty pricy because of the Iridium electrodes...

Old 03-03-2008, 05:09 PM

Drain fuel tank, fuel lines, and fuel rail. Also blow injectors out with an air hose (possible one could be stuck). Change the plugs, then change the oil....Put some fresh gas in it and see how it acts. IF it holds the idle by itself without u giving it throttle, then u have fixed the problem...Even if it hold idle but misses a little, run some injector cleaner through it....I bet its the plugs, gas and oil...Be surprised what crap oil will do to a bike....=-)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the help. I aprreciate it!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:18 AM

I started buying my OEM parts from www.collegebikeshop.com. So far so good. And they seem to be ALITTLE cheaper. Not a ton, but cheaper than anyone else. Its pretty fast too.