CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Basic Engine Question/s

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Engine Question/s

Let me include the full story.

I have 3 f2's totally redone, tracked out ect. I have knowledgabe about them...except engines.

I got a free f2 about 2 years ago, and finally am getting into it, after buying a 07gsxr600 and 06 r6 and setting them up for the track.

When i looked at this bike to determine whether or not i wanted it, the owner fired it up, it wouldnt idle, unless the choke was on with twisting the throttle to keep the rpms up. It has rust damage due to Hawaii's saltwater so I put it on several things

throttle cable was bad
carbs are gummed up
Fuel delivery
Engine

W/e so i got it from him, and a year or so later i had to ship it out of hawaii so i drained the oil for shipping, and gas was in the oil. hmm it was more gas than oil.

I said screw it, still shipped it home.

Now i have te entire thing disassembled, and have a chance to look at the engine. It looks like ****, light rust around the cylinders, not smooth, thats for sure.

NOW THE ISSUE

Facts:

I knew the bike ran before
I didnt try and start it before i took it apart
it has 12000miles

Do i dare get into the engine?
Would it be worth it?
Can someone let me know what they think about this issue?

I found engines on ebay for about 300, running.

I would sell the current one, for a running one, but if i can get i working without full engine swap that would be great.

Engine guys, I need ur assistance.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM

sounds like you have a bike for everyday of the week. wish i could say that. anyways, with gas in the oil is sounds like it got flooded with all that revving to keep it running. i would def check compression in the cylinders because the rings could be bad from all that rust. and it sounds like a carb cleaning is def in order too. i say oil change, carb clean, new spark plugs, check compression and then see if it will run.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Gas in the oil could be from a sticking float in the carbs. If the bike was stored with the petcock in the on position gas can flow into the crankcase. No big deal ...change the oil and check over the carbs.
Pull the sparkplugs and put a teaspoon of oil in then crank it over a few times with the engine kill switch on the off position (no spark). It will smoke when you start it but at least there will be lubrication to prevent scoring. Then run the compression check as suggested above. Run the engine until it is warm and do a second oil change with a new filter. That should flush the worst of the crap out.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM

well i wouldnt suggest rebuilding the motor its gonna set ya back about a grand i would do wat the guys before me suggested