CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

bad vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad vibrations

hi all,

ok I have given the bike a test on the centre stand and the vibrations start round 3k (very high pitched if thats the correct term) and increase in strength as the revs increase.

the vibrations are coming through the handlebars and the footpegs and feel the same at both points and are really strong.

I have checked the engine mounts and they seem ok but only the main centre mounts have rubber washers. The three point hanging brackets that are on either side and attach to the top of the frame don't have any rubber, is that normal ?.

i checked the under chassis exhaust hanger and the rubber was ok, not great but ok. The exhaust is definitely blowing and when i put my hand on the pipes the vibration felt very similar to that at the bars but I guess it could be resonating rather than the actual cause.

any ideas guys ?.

thanks

Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 AM

I am not aware of any rubber washers used in the engine mounts. all of the spacers are supposed to be metal.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by gpfan1
I am not aware of any rubber washers used in the engine mounts. all of the spacers are supposed to be metal.
ok they are metal, the light was fading and I thought one had a perished rubber mount but I was wrong.

To help narrow the test down I am going to remove the exhaust and run, if thats the problem then the vibration should stop or at least change pitch (my basic hypothesis).

Old 01-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe its time to get the socket set out.
If it was me I`d start one end one side and work around the bike. If you want to do it properly you can strip the plastics down and get to the hidden fixings.
Somethings creating this "buzz" and if nothing is found, and your certain you`ve checked everthing then it could actually be your engine causing everything to vibrate. I wouldn`t bother with the throttle until I was certain I wasn`t going to damage anything.
Best of luck mate

Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 AM

so it turns out the header on 3 was leaking just which was also causing the tapping noise (next one my list to look at).
I removed the headers to put new gaskets on and decided to paint whilst they were off. Unfortunately during the dusting down I found two holes. Used parts in good condition are very hard to find over here so I decided to treat myself and ordered a stainless set of downpipes from sandy bike spares, they arrived and fitted nicely.

Unfortunately it now sounds like the bike is missing slighting and when it first starts there is a loud backfire. The running noise almost sounds like valves but as I have just changed for a set of straight through pipes I am hoping it is just knocked everything out of balance (although still not great).

I am going to do a carb balance again but I doubt that is going to resolve the issue. Does anyone know if I am going to have to get into re-jetting to solve this or should I be hopeful a balance might sort it out?.

To help I have ordered an OEM air filter as there is a K&N unit in the bike at the moment but again the bike was balanced before the headers were changed and it ran fine without the filter so I dont think that is going to help my immediate issue.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 PM

Straight pipes will need a rejet for the main and most likely the pilot as well. Even racing requires a muffler of sorts.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by gpfan1
Straight pipes will need a rejet for the main and most likely the pilot as well. Even racing requires a muffler of sorts.
darn it i was hoping to stay away from that.

I have looked through the set up database but i dont have a set up that matches any of the ones in the list.

I have a K&N air filter, Sandy bike spares stainless headers, Dan Moto triangular F3 exhaust with stainless link pipe.