CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Another R/R Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another R/R Question

So, I know this has been covered and covered again, but...I was going to replace my R/R and when pulling the plug out it wouldn't come out. I had a replacement so I broke the edges to get the plug out. After I got it out I noticed that one of the wires was burnt to the plug.

Is this normal for these when they go bad? If not what would cause it to burn like that?

Also, what should I be looking for so I can replace that plug?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical. Too much current = excessive heat. This melts the connectors first because they have the highest resistance (oxides on the surface). I would check over the rest of the harness to make sure there isn't any other damage.

You can try finding a plug online or in a junkyard, but you can just use spade connectors to attach the new R/R. You just need to know what color goes with what connector. Use the existing connector as a reference.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Typical. Too much current = excessive heat. This melts the connectors first because they have the highest resistance (oxides on the surface). I would check over the rest of the harness to make sure there isn't any other damage.

You can try finding a plug online or in a junkyard, but you can just use spade connectors to attach the new R/R. You just need to know what color goes with what connector. Use the existing connector as a reference.
So it's okay to just use the spade plugs and make sure they are in the correct spots? Will this happen again because something is supplying too much power or is it just something that normally happens due to use and age?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Common problem. R/R's overheat too easily. What kind of R/R are you plugging back in? Alot of people upgrade to more robust units. I've heard of the gsxr r/r swap a number of times.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM

I have an 04 gsxr 1000 r/r and never going back, to hook it up is a piece of cake, and I havent had any problems at all.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Common problem. R/R's overheat too easily. What kind of R/R are you plugging back in? Alot of people upgrade to more robust units. I've heard of the gsxr r/r swap a number of times.
I just got a replacement one. Not the OEM one, has a few more of the cooling fins, as well as a whole metal back.

Originally Posted by campos_motorsports
I have an 04 gsxr 1000 r/r and never going back, to hook it up is a piece of cake, and I havent had any problems at all.
I'll have to see if I can find one for cheap on Ebay or something like that. I think I've seen a DIY floating around here somewhere.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 AM

[QUOTE=R3define;1221681I'll have to see if I can find one for cheap on Ebay or something like that. I think I've seen a DIY floating around here somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I got mine for $34 shipped on ebay, and like I said, hasnt failed me since. There is a sticky on how to wire it up at the tech section, takes about 15-20 minutes.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:10 AM

mine actually started to smoke and started a little fire. i would of loved to see my reaction from an outsiders point of view.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM

Sheesh. Lol. That's crazy.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM

This is absolutely normal for these bikes. Mine looked exactly the same when my mechanic looked at it, a little worse actually. Rectifiers get way too hot, especially the stock ones. The wire closest to the plug gets too hot as well and melts the rubber around it. If you looked at every stock rectifier from an F2 after about 12,000 miles, they would probably all look like this. I had the mechanic install a cheap rectifier from china and it's 10 times better than stock. Dissipates heat much better and charges just as well because of the new design. You can buy a new plug from ebay that has several inches of fresh wiring already attached.

Quick Reply: Another R/R Question