CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

'93 F2 Mods - Phase 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goatxxmastr
Haha, if you get a newer model your going to want that to be your new race bike =P its gonna be a vicious cycle.
No, actually my racing plans will not change - I will continue to race the F2, until I begin again my R1 A-Superbike/A-Superstock build, which I had to abandon once before.

I'm only looking to upgrade to a 954RR for street riding, and continue to save for the R1... though, by the time I have that kind of coin handy, things may change, and I may pick up an S1000 RR, pending whether or not Yamaha ups the HP and lowers the weight... either way, that part of my plan is going to be farther in the future than I'd like!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that sucks man, how bad was the wreck on your street bike Jeff? Did you get any injuries or it was a soft wreck?

Look imo, whatever the insuarance company gives you, that can be used for a newer street bike for your daily. Its all up to you, but you can use a different change. After all you've experienced what an f2 can do on the street and on the track. Besides you still have your track bike.

Since your all about taking that excessive weight off, I would definitely get a 954rr. To me its one of the best bikes honda made those years, and also price range for them is pretty fair for the average joe. The 02 954rr's dry weight is 369lbs man, which is nothing. The 04 1krr's 396, which is 27lb difference. If your too worried about the power difference, I'm pretty sure by adding a power commander you can make it breath alot better. Plus the price for them used varies alot. Thats just my opinion Jeff, but you can just go thru rebuilding the f2. I just though that if you can, why not start fresh and new with a different bike. You can probably rebuild that f2 with your eyes closed since you know these bikes inside out!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM

Yeah, I've had my sights set on a 954 for a while, so I don't know why I'm even acting like there's any debate, I'm just going to be patient and wait for the right deal to come around.
The 954's power-to-weight ratio is one of it's appeals, for a bike of that age, and the prices are sometimes very nice - I've found darn near perfect examples for the same price I paid for my first F2, several years back - these factors are what has had me leaning toward the 954 for some time... plus, I miss fuel injection!!

I honestly won't spend too much on upgrades, when I finally score one, as it'll have more than enough power right out of the box, but we'll see.

All that said, I will soon have a heap more F2 parts for sale!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Oops! I failed to answer your questions on the wreck...

Honestly, anybody that saw it, probably freaked out a bit, and figured for a second that I was a "goner" - my thought, as it took place, was: "this is my last thought", I really thought it was all over, but not only was I fortunate to escape death or serious injury, I managed to keep it on two wheels, and not go down on the highway, where I likely would have been run over by other traffic... this happened at roughly 70mph.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 05-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Well you know what they say, it just wasn't your time man. Good thing is you were okay after it and there were no serious injuries involed , your bike is replaceable.

As for the 954, it has always been a bike that I've had a thing for. I was almost gonna buy one for $1k but I let it pass for several reasons. Although my plan for next year was to get an 08 1krr but then again the 954 also has my eyes. I guess because of the power and weight more than anything. Very light weight bike with plenty of power to back it up. Maybe you can even make a track bike in the near future just like the f2's. Did you not take any pics of how the f2 street bike is now man?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by campos_motorsports
Did you not take any pics of how the f2 street bike is now man?
Yuppers...

Seriously bent fairing stay:

Radiator damage:

Right Upper:

Center/front fairing, and what remains of the entire left upper:

The left lower, along with the inspection door, was reduced to shards, and several mounting tabs were broken off on some of the otherwise unaffected fairing pieces... less than half of the windscreen remains.
There's also damage to the instrument trim bezel, the clear gauge lens, and I'm sure I'm missing something.

The good news is, there was no conact with the front wheel, forks, or any of the front braking components, so those are intact, and of course, the motor is fine - the frame is straight as an arrow... the fairing stay and the left side of my body took the major part of the impact.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aih...

Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM

Damn that took a beating! I would say that you can replace the fairings and sell the bike as a whole, but you can also part it out and keep what you need for your race bike. Your choice man, but I do think the f2 fairings are overpriced if you ask me. I mean they cost the same as the ones I bought for an 04 1krr.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Well, the fairings I had on there only cost me $505, including shipping, so that's cheap enough, but I don't think I'm going to rebuild it again.

The fairing stay and radiator will be difficult to source cheaply, though I've got a line on a good radiator for $100 shipped right now.
Finding a cheap fairing stay is another difficult task, and most of the time, when one of those is available, it's due to a wreck, so it might not be straight - now I could just pull the one from my race bike, which is perfect, and replace it with the Graves unit, but then I would have to upgrade to the smaller Koso gauges at the same time, and I'm not planning on doing that until next year.

When it's all said and done, sure, I could bring this thing to flawless, still have $500 or so of insurance money left, and easily sell it for $2000 to $2300 with a clean title, as they are simply paying me to fix it, and not "totalling" the bike... but, I just don't think I'm interested in putting the work in again, and then still need to get it sold, before I buy a 954.
If I did rebuild it, I would have something to ride on the street again, until I got it sold, and I would have more money for the new bike, in this case.

Another consideration, though, is that with all the parts I have that I could liquidate, this could get me to the same dollar amount, but without having to do the work, though seriously, the work really isn't that much... with all the needed parts on hand, I have no doubt that I could have it finished in under 3 hours.... it's a tough call.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM

I have the fairing stay that I took off mine just because of the swap. Just make an offer via pm if you decide to rebuild it. I dont think I will ever have use for it, and its just taking space.

Well depending on the demand for the f2 parts is how you will sell the parts. Sometimes it takes a very long time to get something sold, and 2 out of 10 will actually buy the parts, so consider the gas money for those asking for shipping quotes and they dont even have cash.

Quick Reply: '93 F2 Mods - Phase 2