CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

1st Track Day Coming Up...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Track Day Coming Up...

Any advice from people who've been there? I can not wait to race on the track. I hope it's not too addiciting as I probably won't be able to go but a couple times a season

Old 06-16-2006, 05:55 AM
Default RE: 1st Track Day Coming Up...

Well guy get ready for another world that you will want to LIVE in all the time! Looking at your photo you seem to have good form
however, riding the twisties is a far cry different than riding at speed on a track. Remember this to take your time and warm up your tires with a few laps and put the track together in parts slowly (like a puzzle) you are going to have all day to roll hard. You are not getting a paycheck and you really have nothing to prove out there. Come home in one piece and you will have another day to do it again.

I have done quite a few track days and prepping my bike to get certified at willow springs entry level soon! (NOVICE RSCE SCHOOL)
been riding awhile and have a few friends that race and I have always wanted to do so now I am

Make sure you get a lot of rest and remember your basics. What ever level you are in on track day just don't let your ego get in the way, cause it can and will if you let it and you will soon realise you are riding at a level you might not be ready for.

Some helpful tip's :

Make sure your bike is taped up or all blinkers etc.. removed
Check oil plug
Change antifreeze to water wetter or engine ice full no water mix

I suggest not fill up your tank all the way it will help in your steering becasue the bike will be lighter to turn roughly put in enough to complete the session 1to 2 gallons till you get the hang of it you don't want to run out of gae on the track that sucks.

When you come in put on tire warmers if you have them but don't turn them on till 20min before your session check gas and drink water and sit down and go over what you have just done. pick a section of the track the section you feel most comfortable and try to do better or ask you friend s to critique you

Most of all have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2006, 04:39 PM

I second that. The best advice I got was to ride your own ride. Don't get caught up in how fast other people are. If you focus on technique and developing your skills, the speed will come. I did one track day last year and that is about all I think about. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out this year due to funds, but it is still all I can think about every time I ride.

When I went, since it was my first time, we followed instructors around the track for the first two 20 minute sessions. We didn't crack 60mph and just focused on following the racing line. This was helpful just to get the feel for the track and to begin memorizing the track surface and layout. Remember to stay hydrated,too. This will help you keep your head in the game.

Have fun and come back in one piece

Old 06-16-2006, 08:06 PM

+1 on the ego. You WILL get passed, and get passed by smaller, less powerful, bikes, all day long. Check your tires for good tread depth. If they are "sport touring" tires, use caution when they get warm as they will get greasy with heat. Also, it's your first time, disregard the tire warmer thing. Unless you run slicks or serious DOT race tires and are fast enough to use them, dont bother. Seeing as it's your 1st time out, I doubt you'll be fast enough to worry about it. Check with the manufacturer of your tires for "track pressure". I run my Dunlops at 32F 30R. As stated, give em 2 laps to come to temp. Take a cooler with lots of fresh beverages. Water, sports drinks, etc. Lay off the soda for the day. Stretch BEFORE your first session. Trust me, you'll be happy you did. Take your basic tools to adjust chain, suspension. Check the oil!! Check your brake pads before going for good life left in them. Give your bike a once over while taping it up. I dont know about the gas thing, I run with a full tank when I start and fill up as needed. Yeah, you could probably notice a difference, but again, it's your first time. It's better than running out on the back section of the track and having to get a ride back or worse, push. Surely you have all the right gear. If not, dont skimp on gear. It'll save your ****. Dont look behind you on the track. They probably tell you this in the morning meeting, but dont do it. The guy behind you will get around you, dont worry about that. Otherwise, have fun dude. Take pics and post em up. Also, if you havent done it, set your static sag before you venture out. Someone there can probably help you if you need. Most track riders are quite happy to help. HAVE FUN DUDE!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2006, 08:08 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing. Get ready to part with your money, because it is HIGHLY addictive. Street riding will never be the same.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:39 AM

That is what I am afraid of, parting with all my loot to ride the track. Its a week away and I can't wait anymore!!

Thanks for all the tips, advice.. we are going with a group of about 10 people, all of them do track days. I am not looking at this as an all out race, i am looking how to ride the bike better, handling it safer at higher speeds etc. To me it will be a total learning experience, I have nothing to prove to those guys, just want to ride better, smoother etc.

thanks again, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!