CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Yoshimura

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Yoshimura

i got frustrated looking for an exhaust can so i just made my own.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michigan, what did you do? I'm thinking of buying something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...05338453QQrdZ1
Then fitting it to my cane when my plastics get here hopefully tuesday. F4i race plastics WOOT!!
What do you guys think? I really like the sound of this but it was on a gixxer not a honda.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 PM

it's neat, not my style but if you likey, well...

i've never heard one but i suspect it doesn't have much of a baffle. you could get that exhaust to fit but you will have a couple of issues to think about.

1. how to route midpipe from collector up the side of bike to under the seat and clearing the foot peg and foot control.

2. relocation of battery , lights, and other electrics to somewhere else on the bike since end can will be taking up that space.

3. heat shield so your tush won't get too toasty and won't melt the seat and surrounding plastics.

4. will you have enough rear wheel travel between end can and top of wheel.

5. is it worth the hassle.

what i did for my ride was just make a exhaust can from carbon fiber. i gutted an old beat up aftermarket unit for a hurricane taking the end piece and midpipe but made my own core. i went 40 hours straight gutting the can, making the core, making the mold, laying the carbon fiber, curing it, post curing it in my apartment oven for 6 hours up to 400 degrees, trimming the tube, making the mounting bracket, packing it, and piecing it all together. the only thing i messed up on was i should've slept before doing the carbon fiber. once it got going i had to see it through especially the post curing stage since i had to monitor the oven temperature and increment the oven temp every hour till it was done. by the end of it i was starting to hallucinate, maybe it was lack of sleep, maybe it was the fumes. also, i did not put any uv coating over it so it looks dull instead of shiny. but it is holding up well with no cracks.

in time i will make another one to replace what i have now. it's been 4 years. this time around i will make everything, midpipe, caps, inner core, cf body, and brackets. or maybe i'll just make a megaphone exhaust. materials are easy to come by especially over the internet. the only thing holding me back was welding skills. and now i've actually become a pretty decent TIG welder.

i think the f4 race plastics will look good given what i've seen. post some progress pics in a new topic. hope it works out for you.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:09 PM

yo mich, do yo have any pics of your bike? you are always helping us solve our cane problems and we have never seen your ride. POST SOME PICS!

Old 07-21-2006, 04:30 PM

woh there, easy with the caps...

i help because it is nice to see that people still have this particular motorcycle and is a point of pride. i go to bikenights and most guys are like "whatever", old cbr. and the older guys who have been around know what they are looking at and can appreciate what they are seeing. other models have come and gone but this one is the one that set the class rules.

i know what it is like to have something break on you and not have a clue as to how to diagnose let alone fix. been there, done that. and that is why i am on this board giving advice or helping where i can. because a lot of other riders probably have the same problems and never asked, or never had the nerve to ask. i've gotten to know this model pretty well in the several years since i've gotten it.

there is a whole list of stuff that i have done to mine and there is a long list of stuff that i am planning. i will post pics when i can. just never got around to it.