Winter project - 1987 Hurricane - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Default Winter project - 1987 Hurricane

Hello all,

I figured I should start a thread on the refresh of my bike I bought last month. So far, mirrors have been located, a fuel pump has been purchase, and fuel petcock and windshield ordered.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Two current issues I am working on: a fuel petcock that leaks, and a transmission that does not shift out of first. Pretty sure it is bent linkage.

I'm also a new rider, probably waiting until spring to get a course as it has snowed up here a couple of times already. So far I have only taught myself to duckwalk and taken it up the back alley in first.

Hopefully I can disassemble this petcock and find the leak issue.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Congrats on the new project. My 94/97 franken-bike is turning into much more of a project than I anticipated, but I'm in the same boat with snow here in Colorado. I don't mind though, it gives me something to tinker with in the garage on cold evenings with a glass (or two...or three) of whisky to keep me warm
Old 10-09-2017, 02:12 PM

They're good bikes Dunl.

Are you looking to get her back to something like original? Plastics can be hard to locate sometimes.

I think you can buy a petcock rebuild kit to cure the leak and I think a few guys just gravity feed their bikes, eliminating the fuel pump altogether.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I have all the plastic, although it isn't all in the best shape either (and a couple look to be fiberglass replacements).

Surprise surprise....the petcock wasn't leaking today. Apparently the gasket may have swollen and sealed itself shut? And as for the fuel pump....I was going to install it, but it seems to run fine on gravity feed for now.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunl View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I have all the plastic, although it isn't all in the best shape either (and a couple look to be fiberglass replacements).

Surprise surprise....the petcock wasn't leaking today. Apparently the gasket may have swollen and sealed itself shut? And as for the fuel pump....I was going to install it, but it seems to run fine on gravity feed for now.
Good that you have the plastics and deleting the fuel pump means one less thing to go wrong.

Personally I would add an extra fuel filter between the petcock and the carbs, just as extra insurance
Old 10-10-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016 View Post
Personally I would add an extra fuel filter between the petcock and the carbs, just as extra insurance
Yes, that is in the plans as well.

Good news - a straightened shifter rod (courtesy of my vise), and it now seems to shift gears.....although dumb newbie here needs to remember that it shifts a lot better with a 1-N-2-3 etc pattern, instead of trying to drive the shifter through the floor after 1st gear. Did I mention I have never ridden a dirtbike even, before buying this? lol

Oh well, if you can't laugh at yourself, don't bother laughing at all.

Now....need to figure out the headlight fix. I am just downloading the manuals right now, so I'll see if I can figure out why I have no headlights, and the fuse diagram to find out what the one blown 10amp fuse belonged to.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:07 AM

Gravity feed on the Hurricane sucks, full stop. Don't delete the pump.
The bike will starve at higher RPM and on high lean angles, causing misfires and running lean. Don't do it on the hurricane. Other bikes can be swapped without issue but the Cane is not one. A few post down a rebuild kit for the pump is referenced.
Here is the ebay search.https://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors...eck&rmvSB=true
They look correct to me as well.
Properly maintained a pump will last 30+ years. Mine was good from it's build date on 11/87 until I sold it earlier this year. I had to clean the carbon build up twice in the 17 or so years and 26K miles I owned her. I drag raced, modified, and put my Cane through stuff nobody else has done to them in the pursuit of power, E.T. and the pump always kept up. It even ran C16 without issues and fed the ~120ish WHP that I was putting down.

Last edited by drakito; 10-12-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakito View Post
Gravity feed on the Hurricane sucks, full stop. Don't delete the pump.
The bike will starve at higher RPM and on high lean angles,
I can understand the starvation at high revs but not the lean angles, surely the forces will still be towards the carbs even when the bike is tipped well over.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 PM

Thanks guys, but gravity feed vs pump was beat to death in my first thread.... lol

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-...ed-not-156569/

Headlight does not work, hi or low. Tips on where to start?

Last edited by dunl; 10-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.