CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Vid: throttle butterfly valve setting after cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vid: throttle butterfly valve setting after cleaning

Hey all

just a quick vid looking at where the best position to set the throttle butterflies initially would be. A request for advice really as the manuals are a bit vague.

thanks guys

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v_9F3vrzyQ&feature=plcp"]

Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- As long as they are all 'close', within a good approximation, you can put them back in the bike. The butterfly position is adjusted by balance screws and idle adjustment ****. After buttoning up the carbs, start the bike. Let it warm up for 5 minutes and set your idle with the **** (to about 1100 rpm). Once there, you balance carbs 1 - 2, then 3 - 4, then 2 - 3. Sometimes you have to go through that process a couple times before they are all even. You may have to readjust the idle after syncing the carbs. This is the way I have done it on my old kawa and this cbr.

- Get some fuel line or something similar and run some fuel into the carbs using gravity. Monitor the level of the supply of fuel. Once the fuel level steadies and you have no leaks, you're good.

Protip: For an aux fuel tank, I've used an old washer fluid bottle out of a wrecked car. This allows you to adjust your carbs with the bike running without the tank on. Just hook it up to the fuel line on the bike, NOT directly to the carbs. If you are running the bike and bypassing the fuel pump, it can wear out.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:28 PM

That's what I do as well.. get them close visually and held open slightly with the idle adjustment and put the carb assembly back in the bike. It's not super important since you have to sync them with the manometer anyway once the bike is back together.

I haven't invested in an aux fuel tank yet so what I do is set my tank on my tool cart with an extended length of fuel hose and run it that way Aux fuel tank would definitely be more convenient though.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Smile

Awesome advice my friends!

Will do what you recommend. You guys also pre-empted a couple of things I was planning on asking later - like with the check for leaks and synching. The tip on avoiding burning out the fuel pump is great as I wouldn't have known that at all.

I like the idea of using an old wiper washer tank as an auxilliary fuel tank and I fancy trying it.

Thankyou again and give yourself a pat on the back from me