CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Using starter fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using starter fluid

Its the cold months up here now.. where on my Hurricane would be the easiest way to get to the airbox or carb intake?

Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Using starter fluid

um just wouldnt use starting fluid...

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Care to tell me why?

I've used both starter fluid and carb cleaner on other bikes with no problems.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:25 PM

I am just one for never using it... thats just me. I have seen too many people do stupid things with it, and there can be many other underlying things that can go wrong all at the same time. Personally, if you have to use starting fluid to start her up, its too cold to be riding in the first place.

I know its not a motorcycle but I have seen a cat diesel engine go ka-put because some idiot thought instead of using the heat-start function built in, he would just add a whole bunch of ether. Bad thing.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 PM

True.

I am just starting her up to keep the engine from sitting over the winter, its gotten too cold to start on its own. It isn't in great condition anyway, and I want to keep the engine running every few times a week to prevent anything from building up.

Does anyone know where I can get to the air filter or carb air filter, or wherever I would use starting fluid on a Hurricane? I've never been inside the bike (never taken the fairings off), as it is a fairly recent purchase.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are 2 holes located in the front of the frame just under the side covers. the side covers are the ones just under the clips-ons. remove the allen bolts to them and shimmy the covers off. you should be able to see the airbox intake holes. you can try spraying through there but it will be atop the air filter.

to spray under the air filter, you will need to remove rear left and right fairings. remove the seat, and remove the front and back fuel tank bolts. lift tank and set off on subframe. should not have to remove fuel lines. unscrew top cover of airbox, remove air filter, and carbs should be visible to you.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 AM

I can completely understand wanting to make sure she is good running condition for the warm months, I am from South Dakota myself and know just how hard it is to park her for the winter.

If you properly winterized her, keep a battery maintainer on her, put some fuel stabilizer in, fresh oil change, she should fire right up come spring time.I know a lot of people put her on stands too so flat spots dont develop on the tires (I have ignored this because I am putting new rubber on soon as the ice gets off the roads).

You honestly shouldnt need to fire her up more than once a week or every other week if you are going to be on that program. Ideally would be nice to keep her in the house but I think my wife would have a real problem with my CBR beside my computer which pretty much takes up the whole den anways.