CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension upgrades

I was wondering if any one knows what late model forks/triples can go on an 88 F1 without too much trouble? Or should I just get some F1 forks and mod them with Progressive Suspension or Race Tech stuff? thanks
SR

Old 03-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Suspension upgrades

it's weird, i see these old posts with hundreds of views but no replies.

here goes...

any late model honda cbr??? fork will fit on a '88. honda uses the same steering head bearings and steerer tube almost across the CBR board. some might be a couple millimeters longer but will snug up fine if you put in a washer to make up the height.

only problem is that up until the f4, all front axles are 20/25, f4 and later use 22/27. that means you can use any rim up till '98. i am not sure of axle diameters for usd forks. and also of note is the axles get longer.

if you change to any later model of fork (f2,f3,f4,f4i,600rr,929,etc.), you will need to also get the fender, rim, rotors, calipers, and clip-ons. ebay has plenty of full sets from time to time.

if you aren't into getting a full front end, a rebuild is more cost effective, only thing is these damping rod forks don't have any adjustability. even the f2 gives you preload.

i had my '89's rebuilt with racetech part (springs and goldvalves). it made a huge difference, the front didn't dive on me excessively while braking or braking into a turn, and didn't sag like old boobies.

all in all a rebuild cost me $400 parts and labor with the gold valves taking much of the cost.

now a complete front end would cost you not much more especially if you get everything on the cheap on ebay. you just have to find that good deal and piece it all together. also of note, i believe only the f2 is the only other series to use the cable driven odometer off the front rim, if that matters to you. otherwise you will have to take it from somewhere else as later models don't have anything driven off the front axle.

it really depends on how much you want to spend and for what. if adjustability is not a concern then get the rebuild. i am happy with the results the racetech parts have afforded me. however, if you want more adjustability and have some time and ability, you can do a full front end swap.

michigan_313

Old 06-15-2006, 11:51 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply!! I had pretty much concluded what you said just by virtue of the fact that you can swap around alot of stuff not only within a specific make and model, but also between manufacturers. Believe it or not I'm still in the planning stages of this project. I wound up with a complete F1 frame and swing arm for $40 and found a nice motor with carbs and wiring harness for $125. I'm trying to decide where to take the project - do I want to do a full restore or modify or some combination. We shall see. Again, thanks for the very informative reply.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

geez, i hadn't realized how long ago my reply to the original message was.

if i am starting at the point you are at now, i would not take the time to restore the bike. bodywork would prevent me from doing so.

however, if bodywork is not a concern, then i would go the naked route. this bike can look mighty good without bodywork with a minimal amount of effort.

i would stay with honda stuff all the way. frontend especially. and given the bike is in pieces, it would be very easy to do pre-fitment of any parts from other models that you wanted to use.

let me know if you are looking for any measurements between cbr models. i have done quite a bit of research and have quite a few measurements from f2,f3,f4, and some rr.

good luck.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I've decided not to do the complete resto because it would just cost too much. I still want a nice stock F1 in that sweet red, white, and blue paint job on the cover of the Clymer manual. It just won't be this bike. My bigger problem right now is that I have no title for the bike and it is a PIA in Pennsylvania to get one. I may just try to struggle through it or just make it a track bike w/o body work. Time will tell, and I don't have a lot of time!!