CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Rebuilding the machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow, looking really good now. Are you going with some black honda wings on the tank? Good choice of colour from a safety point of view imo you'll be seen pretty easily. I didn't clear coat mine due to being poor but wish I had. Looking forward to seeing it finished and out in the daylight now. Brilliant job you've done bud

Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dennisgb
You should cut and polish paint "before" decals. 2 part epoxy clear coat over the whole thing is preferred. Rattle can paint doesn't like fuel spills...
Thanks. I guess I've always done cut/polish/wax as a continuous process. I guess I figured I didn't want to be putting decals over those products.

I know all about the 2 part. I couldn't find one anywhere in town, so I just went with a basic clear. I can always re-clear the tank if I order some in. I know it isn't fuel resistant, so the name of the game now is be careful

Thanks for the good words guys. Last night I went out for its maiden voyage. It was dark before I got going so again no good pics. Bike took a bit to get started (had to prime the fuel lines I guess?) but she ran well. Bike pulled hard and felt like an old friend.

One thing I noticed is that the high beam on the hid doesn't work, and the ballast is making a racket. I remember the wiring on the flame bike being messed up, so I'll have to look into this.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Thanks. I guess I've always done cut/polish/wax as a continuous process. I guess I figured I didn't want to be putting decals over those products.
You can clean and prep for decals after you cut/polish. Same as with painting, usually alchohol is all you need to clean the surface. Don't wax until afterwards. Not sure how you can do the cut/polish around the decals and not damage them...or get the paint to look good.

I know all about the 2 part. I couldn't find one anywhere in town, so I just went with a basic clear.
I buy this stuff from these guys online for small parts and touch up. This is a 2 part color sandable clear that will give you a great finish (like professional job) and protect your paint. They ship quick. Get a mask cause this stuff is bad for you.

You can cut/polish/prep and apply decals and then spray with this and color sand with 2000 grit and polish to high gloss.

You'll need a few cans to do the whole bike. At the very least consider doing the tank.

SprayMax 2K Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat

Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Makes sense about the decals. I will look into 2 parting the tank, as that's obviously the big worry with fuel.

I looked at their website before, no shipping of that stuff to Canada... Hard to track down. I'll keep looking

Old 02-01-2014, 03:16 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Here are some pics of the bike in the light.

In other news, I actually found a shop in town that carries 2k aerosol clear - and I got their last can in stock. $25 but it will do the tank no problem. I presume do a wetsand (1000 or 1500 grit??) to rough up the existing clean and spray away!?

Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In other news, I actually found a shop in town that carries 2k aerosol clear - and I got their last can in stock. $25 but it will do the tank no problem. I presume do a wetsand (1000 or 1500 grit??) to rough up the existing clean and spray away!?
Pics look good. Paint is nice.

On the 2K prep and paint, first do the tank because one can won't get you far. You will need at least 3 to do the whole bike. You might get the tank and front fairing out of one can.

The paint you can sand with 1000 but I usually sand it and polish prior to clear so use finer grit (2000). You don't need the base color perfect just smooth it out as best you can and then polish with fine compound and then clean it and use a tack cloth before clear coat.

You want 3 good coats of clear and read all the directions on how to apply it. Get a good mask that protects from the volitiles in the 2K because it is nasty stuff.

Have fun.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:28 AM

Looks really great in the daylight bud, I like the screen with the wing mirrors. Couple of things I do which you prolly will already know: cuz I haven't protected my tank when I'm carefully taking out the gas nozzle I turn it like a waiter would when serving wine lol so it doesn't drip: and with the fairings not coming together - I put the fasteners in the different panels but keep them really loose then gently jiggle 'em together and tighten up at the end. You've got a great ride for the forthcoming season bet you can't wait!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 AM
Welcome Crew

she`s looking good corruptfile

Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM

I haven't been around much for a couple weeks, but the paint job looks nice & the panel fitment looks pretty good also. I like the smoked/tinted front turn signal lenses too that's a nice touch.

Should be a great finished product once the decals are on & the paint is cut & polished!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Thanks for the positive comments all. Haven't rode much lately, as we got hit with subzero temps for the past week. I cut and polished the bike - honestly, not a big of a difference as I thought there'd be. Oh well, I am happy with how it looks now and that's what matters.

I fit the smaller decals on (bascially the same ones I had on the flame bike). Tried to fit the large ones, but they were too rigid and wouldn't mould to the curves of the bike. I have a couple other things I am going to try!

And here's a bonus... I finally tracked down my camera from the crash. Pretty silly mistake, oh well! I can laugh about it now.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the machine