CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Rebuilding the cane

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it running! I'm not sure if my fix for the leaking carbs will work in the long term, but it did the job tonight. When I took the float bowl off I noticed that the rubber gaskets were really dry so I dunked them in some motor oil. I put everything back together and it runs great!

I really need to pick up a new voltage regulator/rectifier, All 3 stator wires are burnt at the plug and the red/white wire that goes from the starter relay to the r/r is beginning to melt, hence my earlier starting problem. Hopefully it didn't take out the stator along with it.

Just a quick pic of how it sits at the moment. My mutt thought he wanted to help I guess. How do you like my temporary gas tank?
Name:  IMG_1036.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  98.3 KB

Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 AM

Yesterday I ordered most of the parts I will need to finish this project. Ended up costing way more than I wanted to spend but eh, I need to get it back on the road somehow. Here's the list...
Trailtech striker digital gauge and dash board
Delkevic carbon silencer
Tail fairing off of a '00 CBR f4
Banana seat off a CBR F4i
Tuner-x clear integrated tail light
Black clutch and brake levers
LED front turn signals
Headlight off an SV650
Choke cable

Things I still need to buy...
Kawasaki zx6r front fender
Honda hornet belly fairing
Voltage regulator/rectifier
Mirrors
Handlebar grips

Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM

I want see that project finish to!!!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM

My Trailtech stuff came arrived in the mail yesterday. Looks like a good product...

Name:  IMG_1037.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  71.1 KB

The only thing I'm worried about is the speed sensor. There's really no good place to mount it on a 600f and I was having trouble getting it to read correctly so I kinda finagled it in there. That might be an issue later but it works for now.

Name:  IMG_1041.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  53.2 KB

Mounting the computer itself was a breeze, all it took was a $0.49 conduit bracket from the Home Depot and it was good to go! I love when things are simple.

Name:  IMG_1039.jpg
Size:  67.6 KB

Still trying to figure out how I want to tap into the rpm signal for the tach. The (very vague) instructions say I can either wrap the positive lead around a spark plug wire or I can tap into the coil. I'm wondering if I can just use the origal wire for the tach? Anyone know if this will work? I'm hesitant to try because I don't want to fry the computer. Any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM

nice!!! If you lived in Europe I bought your original dash board.
In weekend I take a pic of my speedo sensor (from bicycle)!!

How that speedo meter read speed? With iman or rotor rotate?
In my case I use a laptop speaker iman, I put over rotor screw with a little silicone and works very well.

You can put sensor cable inside fender, like mine. I will take a picture.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Still trying to figure out how I want to tap into the rpm signal for the tach. The (very vague) instructions say I can either wrap the positive lead around a spark plug wire or I can tap into the coil. I'm wondering if I can just use the origal wire for the tach? Anyone know if this will work? I'm hesitant to try because I don't want to fry the computer. Any suggestions?

Just wrap the red wire around one of the plug wires. It picks up the signal through induction.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 PM

PSonic, the speed sensor uses a little magnet that takes place of one of the rotor bolts. The sensor figures out the time intervals between each passing of the magnet and somehow comes up with a speed/distance. If you could take a picture of how you mounted yours that would be great! I'm not entirerly happy with the way mine is mounted.

ishootstuff, yup that's what I ended up doing. I tried using the original tach wire but it produced a very jumpy/innacurate reading. What would be the best way to secure the wire once it's wrapped around the spark wire? Electrical tape and zip ties don't work very good and it doesn't look very clean. My goal of this build is to make the mods look like they came from the factory, and zip ties kinda destroys that effect.

A few more parts were delivered this week. Got my exhaust, headlight, seat, and front fender. I'm still waiting on the rear tail light and blinkers so I can finish up all the wiring but the estimated shipping time is June 13 and delivery will take 7-10 business days! That's just plain annoying.

Name:  IMG_1051.jpg
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1050.jpg
Size:  92.7 KB

I did get the whole dash wired up and working properly, what a pain in the ****. It didn't help that my oil pressure sensor failed while I was rewiring everything, I thought I had messed up on the wiring and spent hours dinking around with it just to find out that it was the actual sensor that failed Luckily the one I stole from my spare motor still worked.

I took her for a spin last night. Runs great! Only problem is that the fuel pump seems to only work when it wants to. Not sure if it's a relay problem or a loose connection somewhere.

I also learned an important lesson during the ride. NEVER trust your friends when they say they've tightened all the bolts up, especially when it comes to axle nuts. I hit the rear brake kinda hard and all of the sudden the back of the bike was dog tracking like mad! Scared the crap outa me.

Picked up a nice little nail in the rear tire too, it doesn't leak air at the moment but I guess we'll see.

Name:  IMG_1044.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1046.jpg
Size:  56.3 KB

Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by CSXfan

ishootstuff, yup that's what I ended up doing. I tried using the original tach wire but it produced a very jumpy/innacurate reading. What would be the best way to secure the wire once it's wrapped around the spark wire? Electrical tape and zip ties don't work very good and it doesn't look very clean. My goal of this build is to make the mods look like they came from the factory, and zip ties kinda destroys that effect.
Can you pull one of the boots off the ignition wire and then cover the winding with shrink tubing? That would look professional and clean.

My Trail Tech unit is on my little dirt bike, so I'm not too concerned about the electrical tape look!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good so far man!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks guys. I tried to take one of the boots off and it doesn't want to move. I haven't looked in my manual yet, but is it even possible to remove them? That's a great idea though.

Anyone know what the range of the stock temperature gauge is? I want to program the trail tech computer to warn me when the bike is getting too warm. What's considered normal/dangerous temps?

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the cane