CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Purchasing an 88(I think) Hurricane tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing an 88(I think) Hurricane tomorrow!

Hey everyone!

So I've been on an F2 for quite some time, and LOVE it. Anyways I was kicking it with my girlfriend and some of her friends, and talked to one of them concerning motorcycles. Apparantly he'd bought a Hurricane a few years back. He told me that he rode the bike for two months, then it died on him for some unknown reason and wouldn't start again.

I offered him $400 for it, as I'm betting I at the very least could part the bike out for more than that. There's also a darn good chance i can get it running and functional again.

So anyways, any chance of digging up a service manual online for this? I know the F2's is widely available accross the internet in PDF format. Anyone have a manual for this bike?

When I get it I'll do a once over on it myself and see just where the issue could lie. I'm sure it needs a new battery, and a carb cleaning at least. It say for two years since it last ran. Hopefully those two issues alone will take care of everything, but who knows.

What would you do first getting such a bike, not knowing anything about it, not knowing what caused it to stop running (owner kind of not knowing **** about bikes) and knowing it had sat unchecked for two years. Oh yeah, and it probably spent the two month period of it's life entirely unserviced, hahaha!

Old 04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

Alright so it turns out it's an 89 Hurricane! Here are some pictures:

Turns out the issues the owner described was that one of the spark plug lines would occasionaly pop off the spark plug. Shouldn't be impossible to fix. Getting it back to my place was a slight headache! The front brakes were seized, but I opened the bleeder and pumped out some fluid... and voila all better, unseized!

Anways, more to come. Horrible job painting the beast with crappy aftermarket plastics. The stock plastics were included but you can tell it went down and then rattle canned over. I may throw them back on though as the aftermarket ones have the tabs snapped off...

Old 04-11-2010, 06:53 PM

Well, I have seen much worse. Good luck with your project!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Yeah while tearing it apart today I felt confident that it won't require much. I did already run into a headache though... damn screws holding the air box onto the carbs are STUCK and the heads are stripped. ARGH!

I was pleased while taking it apart to find a K+N filter in amazing clean condition. Everything beneath the fairings was fine, so whatever crash occured, it really wasn't that big of a deal I'd say!

I've got some frame sliders leftover from my F2, which I managed to fit on this bike as well. They'll hopefully help avert any low speed damage, and they also make great highway pegs as they're the extended frame sliders! BOOYA!

Here's my list of things that probably need replacing:
-CBR600 chain + sprockets (Front + rear) - $100
-Battery - $40
-Spark Lugs (NGK DPR8EA-9) (X4) - $12
-Throttle Cable - $20
-Mirrors - $20 for these mirrors. Any thoughts on them?
-Oil change w/ filter - $20
-Carb + brake cleaner (front brake WAS seized, fine now) - $10

All said and done including Purchase: $622!

I suppose I haven't included paint, nor new grips (stock ones were RETARDED). Not sure what it would run to paint the whole beast. Given that it's a cheap bike I can't say I'm opposed to rattle canning it... although in my discussions with state police they profile spray painted bikes as stolen bikes.

Thoughts on the above list? Maybe links to cheaper places you know of? Also where would I dig up spark plug wires?

Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

Well just got off the phone with a friend who paints airplanes proffesionally for a living! He offered to do my bike for the cost of paint alone! BOOYA!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Banned

So I'll just keep writing here for you all...

Thus far the restoration project is going good. The bike is stripped down to just the bottom of the airbox, which has some seized screws. I'll be removing those and shortly afterwards removing the carbs. From there it's a good carb cleaning, a fuel pump cleaning and filter replacement, spark plug change, battery replacement, valve adjustment, oil flush, and gas tank treatment... then it's ready to see if I can get the puppy to start.

Hopefully it does start. Once I've got the beast started I'll know it's worth proceeding. At that poinit it's all just basic stuff (tires, sprockets, grips, mirrors, other things) and the plastic and rims will need to be fixed.

For the plastics, my friend at the airplane place offered to rebuild all the tabs and reinfroce them all along with prep and paint the plastics. We'll be going over all of them with a bad *** epoxy and fiberglass overlay, then sanding it smooth and redrilling. All the mounting points will now be ungodly burly. The best part though is he can powder coat the rims for me! BOOYA!

I'm thinking if I get this all done just right, I'll have a really bad *** CBR600F to show off to you guys!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 AM

Have you removed the front right brake caliper or is it just missing?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Removed. It was seized when I picked the bike up. Since then I flushed with brake fluid and it's alright. It'll probably need some attention though before I consider it road safe!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM

Good work so far, keep us posted.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:47 PM

Did you ever find a manual?

Quick Reply: Purchasing an 88(I think) Hurricane tomorrow!