CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New and need help. 1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and need help. 1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Hello everyone, I'm new to motorcycles and this forum with many questions. I just recently purchased a 1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane from a friend. It needs some tlc and I don't have alot of cash to spend on it. So first thing is the parts needed. Seats torn, don't have anything for the left side, repair manual for the bike, cam tensioner(can hear it rattle and was told it needs to be tightened, so not sure if I need it or not), gas tank has a dent in it and would like to pop that out as well but not sure how, and really and extra piece I can pick up. Secondly I do have a few plastics that have minor cracks in them, is it possible to salvage any of those and paint over it to look like new? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM

the CCT is a common issue, there was a how to on converting it to a manual. the OEM unit, is hydraulic, and sucks. be careful though, overtightening is just as bad as too loose.

not sure about the rest. where are you located though?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for replying. I was unaware that tightening the cam tensioner too tight would be bad. However I'm sure if I buy a repair manual (similar to haynes or chilton for cars and trucks), it should tell me the correct specs. Also I am located in Brantford, Ontario, Canada. I will edit my profile during some free time. Again if anyone has any spare parts they are willing to donate or sell for really cheap let me know please.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:22 AM

if you have a factory tensioner, you cannot adjust the tension at all, its purely hydraulic and self adjusting(which was the issue)

overtensioning can put too much strain on the cam chain, causing it to snap, possibly causing catastrophic failures to occur.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 AM

how does the bike run? that would be my first purchases if you dont have much money. i've ridden my bike for years with a ripped seat...

cam chain noise is common on alot of bikes. i wouldn't even bother with a new tensioner, unless you get a manual one. i've replaced mine with no change. i think the chain stretches/chain guides wear beyond the factory tensioners limits.

there are special glues for abs plastic you can try to repair your fairings. it "melts" and fuses the plastic together. or you can try fiberglass on the backside

Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 PM

The ripped seat isn't a huge deal. Something cosmetic that I would like to fix. The bike rides great. No problems this far. Need to get new fork seals and plastics for the left side. Don't have anything for the left. But also don't have the money to spend. I was able to pick up the manual almost free. Downloaded the PDF and paid for an ink refill and printed it off and put it into a binder. Found the manual thanks to rrasco:-). But still looking for left side fairings and any custom parts compatible with my bike. I'm a lowballer

Old 09-16-2011, 01:03 AM

you can recover your seat with $9 worth of marine vinyl from joanne fabrics and a can of spray glue. It had never done anything like it before and it was really easy. It takes longer to get all the old staples out than to recover it.
Before:

After:

Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Wow that looks mint! So you spray the glue on the seat and start the vinyl in the very middle and stretch it out all the way around the edges and to the underneath of the seat? I along with many other wish you made a video on how you did it (doesn't matter the model or make of the bike, this seat repair must be standard for every seat with the exception of how much vinyl to use). Awesome so I can have a new looking seat for approx $20.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by GrumpyKroniK420
Wow that looks mint! So you spray the glue on the seat and start the vinyl in the very middle and stretch it out all the way around the edges and to the underneath of the seat? I along with many other wish you made a video on how you did it (doesn't matter the model or make of the bike, this seat repair must be standard for every seat with the exception of how much vinyl to use). Awesome so I can have a new looking seat for approx $20.
How to recover your motorcycle seat on the cheap! - YouTube
Thats what i used for reference. Just make sure to use lots of spray glue and pull the vinyl as tight as you can get it. on My f1 all i needed was 2/3 of a yard of the marine flex vinyl which was under 10$ and mold/mildew resistant since its meant for boat seats. I even had a few big pieces left to make a new seat strap but i cant sew so i havent bothered trying to make one yet.