CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New 87 cbr600 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 87 cbr600 owner

Just picked up a decent 87 hurricane yesterday for $700 and took it for it's first ride today.
I noticed when I get on it or even when I'm just crusing at around 5,000, i can feel the bike chugging or cutting out. Kinda like a misfire on a car.
Think a tune up will fix this?

Also, when i get to WOT from a stand still (slowly wrapping the throttle, not a clutch dump), it seems like it should have way more power... Granted i just took my buddies R1 for a ride but I know what a 600 should feel like and it's definitely doesn't feel like it's accelerating like it should. It's a naked bike soon to be street fighter but i want to get the mechanical aspect sound first before i get to the mods.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 AM

welcome to the hurricane club. New plugs are never a bad idea but look at the old plugs when you take them out and that will tell you a lot about your bike. These are over 20 years old now and technology in bikes has come leaps and bounds since the late 80's but they still are a blast to ride but if your used to newer 600s it will feel a little underpowered.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 AM

Yeah don't be comparing it to a new r6. But I know exactly whats wrong with the cutting out, or at least have a pretty good idea. Try covering the holes on the frame that go into the intake box with duct tape and take her for a spin. I'm willing to bet shes getting too much air.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by TWOFERJUAN
Yeah don't be comparing it to a new r6. But I know exactly whats wrong with the cutting out, or at least have a pretty good idea. Try covering the holes on the frame that go into the intake box with duct tape and take her for a spin. I'm willing to bet shes getting too much air.
I'm not comparing it to it i just know that this bike should be A LOT faster then what it is right now.

I was thinking it was getting too much air too. When getting on it, the intake sounds loud as hell and sounds like it's getting way too much air. I'm riding it into work today so I'll give it a try., thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM

ya, try covering both holes half way. even the stock plastics covers up the holes.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM

well I think i figured it out. I filled it up yesterday when i took my first ride (premium of course). There was obviously already gas in the tank but i didn't really think about who i bought it from. Some punk white kid who was trying to get his "rap career" off the ground. I'm not one to judge but doesn't everyone know you're suppose to put premium in a bike?
Well, that old gas is running out and it's running a whole lot better. Still a little stutter around 9 grand but It's acceleration picked up quite a bit.
I did stop at meijers this morning and got a roll of duck tape and cover'd up the holes and left a slit between the two pieces and it helped some with the bogging. Just waiting for this premium to run through and it should be good :-)
Oh, here's a picture:
Name:  WP_000012.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  84.4 KB

Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 AM

if it keeps bogging just cover the holes more, i pretty much completely covered mine from the inside with duct tape. Duct tape tuning ftw!!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Br3adcru5t
I'm not comparing it to it i just know that this bike should be A LOT faster then what it is right now.

I was thinking it was getting too much air too. When getting on it, the intake sounds loud as hell and sounds like it's getting way too much air. I'm riding it into work today so I'll give it a try., thanks
Yea odds are thats your problem at least with the 5k cruise. If the bike is stock jetted it will lag in the low end for sure. You need to remember, these bikes ARE 20+ years old, so the engine and fuel management technology is ancient. Meaning, if you line this up beside a new 600 you will feel like you are standing still, even with mods.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Br3adcru5t
well I think i figured it out. I filled it up yesterday when i took my first ride (premium of course). There was obviously already gas in the tank but i didn't really think about who i bought it from. Some punk white kid who was trying to get his "rap career" off the ground. I'm not one to judge but doesn't everyone know you're suppose to put premium in a bike?
Well, that old gas is running out and it's running a whole lot better. Still a little stutter around 9 grand but It's acceleration picked up quite a bit.
I did stop at meijers this morning and got a roll of duck tape and cover'd up the holes and left a slit between the two pieces and it helped some with the bogging. Just waiting for this premium to run through and it should be good :-)
The only reason now to put premium in a F1 is because 87 and 89 octane now have ethanol added. The 87-90 CBR's are designed to take 87 Octane.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Here is what the owners manual says about fuel octane rating...

Attached Thumbnails New 87 cbr600 owner-dsc00968.jpg  

Quick Reply: New 87 cbr600 owner