CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Need some insight

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some insight

Well, my gf and I are currently living out in Cali, we just moved here from NY about 4 months ago. Well, some problems have come about, and she was offered a better job back in NY, so we are moving back there. She doesnt want me to sell my first bike, my 87 CBR600 F1. Bike runs great, she wants me to ride it across country. Do you think it'll be alright, or should I try and sell it out here, since I planned on picking up a new one back in NY. Also, where would I find a fuel gauge so I can monitor my gas if I decide to ride across the country? Doesnt have to be electronic, and would rather it be under 100$

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Need some insight

I dont think I've ever posted pics of my bike, so here I'll include some for you all. The previous owner mustve dropped it a gazillion times. So far, i've added new levers (red), brighter bulb, and turn signals mounted on the license plate (the originals were broken from being dropped).

Old 07-24-2007, 06:33 PM

Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. how quickly do you think you can sell it if you had to?

2. how reliable do you feel the bike is?

3. if you feel that the bike has been reliable then i see no problem in riding it cross country.

4. gas guage is not needed. figure that if you don't have any fueling issues or leaks, then you should be able to easily get 140 miles to the tank with 10-15 in reserve. besides, gas stops give you some time to walk around, stretch, and enjoy the sights.

5. would you pass up the opportunity to ride cross country? sounds like a great adventure.

6. if you do decide to ride it out, i would give it a good once over especially the tires, chain, and sprocket, and an oil change before leaving.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM

The bike has been reliable so far, ive owned it for 2 1/2 months no problem. Yeah, riding across country would be quite the experience. I have 2 weeks to sell the bike if i need to sell it, since we leave that soon. The bike was recently in at Carmichael Honda for inspection, my fathers best friend owns the shop. They said the tires were fine on it. I'll def change the oil before I leave tho, not sure where to take, or if i just take it back to the shop.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:32 PM

I commute my 89 to work and I get 180-190 miles on a tank. I'm sure I could hit 200+, but I've never had to switch to reserve so I am not 100% it still works.
I agree that you don't need a fuel gauge. If you decide to ride just take your time and be safe. If you decide to sell, let me know.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Kinkead26 - Are you using 87 octane? or a higher grade? Cause on my last full take I believe i got 142 miles. Plus ive never used the reserve, what degree or clock wise would I turn it? Not sure yet, will decide by tomorrow night so ill let you know.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12 o'clock is ON, 3 o'clock is Off, and 6 o'clock is reserve. i'd make sure that it works in that mode before riding too far. or runthe tank as far as it will go and then switch to reserve and run till you're almost out. that will give you a real good estimate of how many miles you can get. on a full tank including reserve i can get a hair over 185. as for the oil change, you could do that yourself quite easily. it will run just fine on 87 at least till you get out of cali and then you can use 89 in other states.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 AM

89 isnt allowed or something in cali? Also, ive never changed oil on a car or a bike in my life, but my next door neighbor loves to do that stuff and would help me out with that. What if my reserve doesnt work, cause my father rode it the other night and ran it out of gas and told me it didnt work for him, perhaps he didnt have it on the right setting.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about reserve. It's probably safer to plan on a stop every 100 or so if you're not trying for a SS1000 from the IBA (although that would be a cool thing to pick up on a trip like this). This will help you with fatigue that will develop during a long day of riding. If you are really worried about it, just get a 1 gallon gas can that you can strp on the rear seat. I would put it in some type of other container though, for your own saftey.

That's just my $.02. Someone with more experience probably has even better advice.

Quick Reply: Need some insight