CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

master cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default master cylinders

im in the process of building up the bike fixing all the problems making it more of a street fighter bike. i have been dabbing in brakes now because i am in need of new brakes all around. I was planning on runnin stainless lines with double h pads all around. then i got thinkin what about a brembo master cylinder something with more power less fade easier pull. so who has upgraded the master cylinder on these bikes and what did you go with also would they be worth the investment. i believe they will more braking power is def gain out of the money spent

Old 11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: master cylinders

you can use any master cylinder from any later model year bike.

i like remote reservoir type masters as it is easier to add and change fluid. i am using a master from a 2000 r6. if i remember correctly, the piston is the same size as the f stock unit. there isn't much advantage in the later model unit other than i can use an adjustable lever on it.

i have also used a radial pump master from a 1000rr. it works nicely except that the pump portion of the unit is so large that i will not clear the guage cluster when going to full steering lock.

pull is definitely easier if you can get something that has lever adjustment. as far as the fade goes, that will depend on the actual caliper, pad, rotor set itself. you will get fade if you push this bike hard because you are looking at technology that is almost 20 years old. it will not perform as well as what is available now.

i went from stock pads and rotors --> galfer braided lines, galfer hh pads, stock rotors --> r6 master --> ebc hh pads and ebc rotors --> complete 600rr frontend using ebc pads, stock 4 pot calipers and stock rotors.

each step gave specific improvements, but nothing from the late 80's can compare with currently tech.

was it worth it? to me, yes. better lever adjustment, better braking, better brake feel, bigger rotors, and bigger calipers. even something as simple as braided lines make braking better.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:09 PM

A brake upgrade is the business. The 04+ R1 uses a Brembo MC for a lot less than a Brembo anywhere else (if you can beleive that). Then some SS lines, some HH pads on ...........oh what ever calipers you have and some Axis rotors. You should be sitting VERY pretty after that.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM

i was planning on doing it right but to what my pocket book would allow. I was planning on going with ebc hh front pads, with stock rotors and calipers, r1 master cylinder(i knew it was a brembo already just wondering what people thought of the upgrade) with galfer front lines.Another question are the galfer lines 2 lines all the way down to the caliper or is it the stock setup. i like the dual line setup better. i will not be using stock guages since its a street fighter setup.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

galfer makes a 3 line kit and 2 linekit. it's really up to you which one you prefer to get. i have the 2 line kit because i did not feel like dealing with 3 lines. you just have to be careful of routing the lines. be sure that they do not get caught anywhere going lock to lock. watch out for any places they could get pinched from lock to lock. another tip is go to hardware store to the miscellaneous odds and ends area, that section to get grommets, bolts, caps, etc, and find yourself some rubber lined clamps. get 2, one for each side of fender to keep the lines in place, and 1 large one to keep them next to the triple clamp. they look alot nicer than zip ties.

http://www.springmasters.com/sp/hose...ess-steel.html

oh, i forgot to mention thatyou will have to stagger thebanjo fittings at the lever.