CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Honda 87 CBR600F Hurricane, project

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picking up where I left off yesterday.
Will be taping for red stripes on the side panels then paint them black , plus some other all black parts.
Maybe get to the tank today. It needs some wet sanding, still a bit tacky.
Name:  vkeasBA.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  66.7 KB
Name:  bncLcNA.jpg
Size:  52.5 KB

Old 07-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Default More work to do…

This shows today's results. The black bled under the tape, bummer…
Decided to seal it with a clear coat, then next week touch up the stripes with an air brush, re-clear coat.
It's not the mistakes, it's the fix that makes good work done.
Clear coated the tank with the same idea. There's places that will need wet sanding and buff polishing, not new to me.
Look close, you can see the black bleed under. PS: No way I could match the OEM tape stripe geometry, I did me best.
Name:  0NIvBFb.jpg
Size:  165.1 KB

Old 07-21-2019, 01:21 PM
Default Body panels on…

Ok, still need to scrape, sand, buff and polish some runs on the tank, but lookin' sweet!!
PS:Only got the side cowling on one side for these photos, some of the fastening points need repair.
Name:  th51Bf3.jpg
Size:  186.2 KB
Name:  fAW93Vb.jpg
Size:  188.3 KB
Name:  DAyHHEY.jpg
Size:  188.5 KB

Old 07-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty good. I had made the artwork for the stripes and Hurricane decals to cut on my die cutter before the shop burned down. All of the equipment and supplies were lost in the fire. I still have the data saved on a hard drive and hope to get a new cutter once I have a new shop.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Looks pretty good. I had made the artwork for the stripes and Hurricane decals to cut on my die cutter before the shop burned down. All of the equipment and supplies were lost in the fire. I still have the data saved on a hard drive and hope to get a new cutter once I have a new shop.
A real loss…best wishes for your rebuilding success!

Old 07-25-2019, 03:23 PM
Default Where have you been all my life, Wife???

WOW!!! This is what an 87 600 can do? I'm so out of touch, think I'm gonna sell my liter bikes!!!!
Filled the tank and did 40 miles on every twisty road and HWY I know, this bike is killer!!!
Did a few naughty things, splitting between pilgrims that got in the way of my joy!!!
Bike needs some simple tweaks, but I need to do a track day this summer!
Love the smooth way it transitions from braking to power in corners!!!

Old 07-26-2019, 07:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The power to weight is quite good on these bikes. The bigger bikes have their place but for me the lighter bikes are more fun. The only bigger bike that came close was my 919. Glad you got her out.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:08 AM

My 87 CBR 600 Hurricane project is starting to make progress too. Thanks to Hamlin and others, I am close to having the carbs dialed in to match the bike. I made mis-calculations assuming that the previous owner/modder had the bike running well and clearly the jets in the bike, needle position etc. were not correct. After getting the needle close (again, thanks Hamlin), the 112 main jets in the bike would simply choke when the throttle was twisted to full. I am down to a 108 main jet now and that seems like a good baseline. I highly recommend the MOSFET RR conversion as this has made everything just more stable with a steady voltage, no flickering lights and so on. Charging at idle is a must for using the bike in real world riding. I was never able to get the original carbs running the way I wanted, but I bought a used set and used that as the baseline for getting the bike going. Original set shows signs to vacuum leaks (high idle after throttle, unstable idle) that can't find. I am running needles, slides and floats from the original carbs in the replacement set (moved floats since I had the original set cruising better and I wanted to duplicate that float level). I bought main jets in a number of sizes and started going up from the stock 105 after running the 112's that were in the original set and experiencing the obvious bogging.
I installed a METZLER 150 rear tire which matches the original height to within a millimeter or so. All new brake pads, new rear bearing. I added a volt meter (mostly used for diagnosing all of the strange battery issues I had, which were complicating the carb issues in the beginning) which has a couple of USB ports. I also added an ignition relay since the ignition switch had more resistance than I liked. I was seeing voltage loss across it.
I agree that this bike is fun to drive. I ride Harleys so this is a huge change. My wife has a Buell for a while which had the same basic characteristics, but nothing like the CBR 600 for powering through corners and such. For a 32 year old bike, it is pretty impressive.
Have two main items to complete. Finish tuning to get rid of the slight stumble I get in off-gas/on-gas transitions, especially with around 1/4 throttle. Get the typical 87 frame stress crack welded by someone we know. I am also going to do the stick coil mod. I have some 06 stick coils on the way with a harness. Not sure if I am going to swap to the manual CCT I ordered, perhaps someday.
My son's friend has an 97 that needs body panel work and also needs tuning and miscellaneous repairs. I refused to start that one until this bike was at least usable. I will start a thread with a picture and the details of the parts I used for reference in case it will help someone in the future.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:35 AM

After a longish ride 66 miles, the needle was just left of the red square under HOT.
Is that about normal? I have Engine Ice coolant in the bike.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:37 PM

Oooh, seems all the coolant disappeared…steamed out someplace during my ride.

Quick Reply: Honda 87 CBR600F Hurricane, project