CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

HELP pulling carbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP pulling carbs

I have searched the internet and different threads for months now with no luck. I've started to pull the carbs so I can give them a thorough cleaning. But I can't seem to get them out. I've loosened all the carb clamp rings and tried to pull them up some so I could get the hoses and chords disconnected but they didn't budge at all. Could anyone point me in the right direction? A friend of mine said to try loosening the bolts on the head right below where the carbs connect to it and after doing that they still won't budge. PLEASE any serious help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to ride this season. And I don't want to take it to the shop because I want to be able to do as much work on my own as possible and all the local shops have quoted me a minimum of $300 for labor.

The reason I'm wanting to clean the carbs so bad is because it hasn't had a good thorough cleaning for 2 years. And the other day when I was riding to work my RPMs started bouncing up and down then when I squeezed the clutch the bike just shut off and wouldn't run for longer than five minutes. And no matter how much I rolled onto the throttle I couldn't get it above 30mph. A guy at the bottom of the hill I live on who has had a ton of bikes over the years said it seems like it's either the spark plugs or the carbs. So I'm just starting with the carbs since it's been a while since they've been cleaned.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:34 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm not entirely sure about this as I've never worked on a 600f1, but on the F2, and the 1000F Hurricane the only thing holding the carbs on the rubber boots are the tightening clamps. The tricky part is the rubber boots harden over time and gets "glued" onto the carb throats. They can be mighty tight in there! First make sure the thing is as I've said, then take a tire iron or similar and try prying the carbs out, but be careful and watch closely where you pry from so you don't bend or break anything. Also be prepared to replace the boots cause they can and probably will suffer tears when you eventually get the carbs out, and if they are so hardened they probly won't sit onto the throats well enough to make a proper seal anymore. It might help to start from the side and get one carb to pop loose rather than prying straight from the middle as then you are fighting all four. And as said don't put all your might in it, if they absolutely refuse to budge you might be able to cut the boots in two but that IMO would be the last ditch effort before baling the whole bike...

Old 06-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

One trick to try is to heat the boots up with a hair dryer or a heat gun. This will make them a little more plyable. It will still a good amount of effort, but they will come off if you stay with it.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Undo the choke cable
2. Remove fuel inlet (from the t-connector)
3. Loosen off throttle cables (remember around where the nuts were)
4. Grab the rack and rock them up and down to loosen them up. hamlin is right about the hair dryer method, it can help. Keep rocking them. Sounds like you may need to replace them anyways so don't worry about damaging them.
Honda 87 90 CBR600F CBR600 Hurricane Carb Holders Intake Manifold Boots | eBay

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep they are horrible to remove when the rubber boots are dried up and hardened. I thought I was going to break something by using the amount of force it took to get mine unseated the first time. Rocking them back & forth helps as does applying some heat. You might also try spraying a bit of penetrating oil or WD40 around the boots and try working that into the gap while moving the carbs.

Do yourself a favor and order those replacements in the Ebay link. I made the mistake of re-installing my old ones the first time and it was not fun. I have a set of those on my bike now, and the carbs slip right out with little effort now.