CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Handling limits...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Handling limits... (& repairs after the reaching thereof)

[Changed the thead name... if adminstrator want so change this thread or redirect me to a repair section, happy with that too. PM me if you like.]

In reply to Michigan_313 I don't have a "before" pic of the subframe with everything off, but you can guess the distortion from the rear view pic a couple of posts above. Avoided flame heating as I thought I'd get near enough without having to take too much stuff off and also I'd then feel obliged to repaint the heated part of the frame as well. Gotta keep these bitches lookin' cute!

Fairing repairs are going well. Main learnings so far (this only applies to ABS fairings, not to the front fender which is different):
1. MEK does a good job of gluing at least for assembly purposes (but have just made a couple of test pieces to check how good it is under real load.)
2. MEK is heaps cheaper than proprietary glues (the proprietary glues **may** be better, but its hard to cut through the b.s. and get real evidence of how good specific ones are in practice. Main warnings from a number of forums seems to be to avoid epoxies and PVC glues as they have different thermal properties and won't last as well as ABS. Don't know about urethane glues - may actually get some and try it for fabricating/filling large gaps. Urethane is one of the few I can get where I am. Its really difficult to get the few good glues that some users (as opposed to sales sites) recommend, and freight restrictions limit the ability to get them sent to me.
3. You can make an ABS/MEK putty (say approx 50:50 mix of ABS sheet and MEK by volume) and make moulds out of clay to fabricate missing parts, but still getting some experience with that so too early to say if its really good. Made a test piece tonight.
4. The thermal welding that was done professonally when I first got the bike (had a few cracks and missing lugs etc) peeled away in some places, so there's a quality control issue or some other problem with with thermal welding -maybe they used the wrong filler.
5. I'd done some previous repairs using Loctite 480 and they stood up remarkably well. For example I'd fabricated a tab out of ABS sheet and glued it on to the fairing with 480. In the prang the entire tab and part of the fairing broke away. The only reason for not using 480 this time around was that I wasn't sure how compatible it would be with buiding up missing parts, and the MEK came high recommended. And everything seems funnier when you're using MEK ;D
6. Its really worth a bit of extra effort to collect your plastic fragments off the track/trackside - even the small ones (down to say 1/2 postage-stamp size or smaller depending on where they fit). It saves fabrication time later and helps alignment of the parts that fit around them.

If anyone wants me to I'll post some pics of the fairings in partly repaired state. Main reason I haven't is that I'm embarrassed about advertising globally the state of my work area, and I'm trying to get it done as quickly as possible (a) to get the bike back on the road and (b) because I'm getting warning signs that I'm spending too much time working on the bike (and I am too...)