CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Handling limits...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Handling limits...

What sort of battlaxe's are you running?

Old 01-09-2009, 04:49 PM

bt45s front and rear. Stock sizes

Old 01-09-2009, 04:56 PM

Thanks. Will try them next time.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 PM

I'll add my contribution to this post, although it may not follow the same pattern of the previous posters.
This summer, our local airport runway was converted to an NHRA style 1/4 mile strip for differentSaturdays during the summerwhere anybody could race as long as they had a driver's license. Lots ofsuped up race cars, motrcycles of all kinds, and especially 16 year olds driving there parents stolen mini-vans for the weekends.
Knowing that this year I actually had a vehicle worthy of being raced, I gave it a try. Not knowing anything about how the staging process, light tree, or launching procedure, Iquickly learned the importance of a good launch and reaction time. The very first race not knowing that leaving on green was wrong I nabbed a 14.5 ET with a 1.12 RT. My last race on the last weekend I nabbed a 12.94 ET with a .510 RT, a pretty significant improvement.
But basically the point to this short story if your wondering was my ability to increase my "limits" in the art of launching. My biggest fears were eitherfishy taling sideways or looking straight at the sky if you know what I mean. Butin the end I was amazed in my ability to lauch around 8000 RPMS andnever watch the tach drop below 8000 by the time the clutch was fully released. There were Harley guys who were in complete fishy-tales leaving the line. I couldn't believe how they weren't able to hookup.Never once did I spin the rear tire in the 4 weekends I raced. I didsometimes pop the front tire off the ground a few times but nothing major.
Both my tires are Dunlop Arrowmax GT-501s. I have to say, for an inexpensive sport/touring set of tires these tires offer great traction plus they last a long time. But really the point of this story, was the pure adrenaline rush of going down the track and actually beating a few other bikes. I can not wait until I have the chance to do it again next summer. I know 12.9 may seem pretty slow, but for an 19 year old bike with 28,000 miles and a amateur driver, I can't really complain.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 AM

Hey that sounds like super fun. Yeah, if ppl could all do more track days or strip days, what a difference that would make (to not fanging around on public roads so much... unpleasant stuff can happen... and I work for an ambulance service...)

Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 AM

I don't think I've had a significant hop side ways. But at the end of my season I had a really bad slip on the front. I was going home on the same corner I allways do, either I pushed it too hard, or i wasn't going fast enough, or I hit some loose gravel. But the whole front end sliped out from under me. I was looking down at pavement, and I think I lifted off the seat. Then suddenly like magic the bike straightend out and everything was ok. I've been told i just got to get used to that.
I noticed watching vintage Hurricane racing, that they all hopped around the corners like it was natural.. they where alot braver back then lol

The other noob mistake i made this summer.. Sharp right hand turn, accedentall Throttle, but thats an other story haha

Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Interesting... is video/film of vintage Hurricane racing easily available? (Googling it doesn't come up with much other than your post above - Google must be quick on the job). Where did you get it?

Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Well here's the only vid I can seem to find http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S96yMDgVChY

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 PM

Awww.... that’s great! Just so sweet to see so many of our cute lil’ rug rats hooning around the track. If anyone else finds any good vids, please post ’em

Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM

yo thats a sweet video right there.

Quick Reply: Handling limits...