CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Getting pretty excited about upcoming repairs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting pretty excited about upcoming repairs

So I've mentioned some of my bikes issues in the welcome thread and since then I have been busy scouring ebay looking for tidbits here and there. Except for finding a tail cover which I am still searching for... I found one, but it's cracked. I've managed to track down some other essentials.

Currently on order:
  • Speedometer cable, mine is busted off right at the wheel and for two summers I have had no idea how fast or far I've gone.
  • Regulator Rectifier, In this case mine might not be bad, I probably should have tested it, but while I am in there I want to just do a clean sweep of the charging system so that I know everything is good. I tracked down the one that CorruptFile references in his How to thread.
  • Stator and stator cover, I definately need a new cover, there is currently a hole that has been busted out of mine and it's all held together and in place with JB Weld. The stator is coming as part of the cover, so I don't know if it is actually good or not, taking a chance on that one.
  • Battery compartment, totally an impulse buy, but mine is just floating around loose under the seat so still something that needed addressed sooner or later.
All said and done, just under $150. Not sure why I didn't do this two years ago. Now if only the UPS man would start showing up with some of my packages... Like a kid waiting for Christmas

Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM

If you're talking about the small cover behind the seat you can get a new one from Airtech Streamlining for a pretty good price along with any other plastics you might need HONDA CBR 600 F1 1987-90, CBR600, fairings, bodywork, fairing, upper, lower, mid, seat side, race, street, fender, tail, undertail, tank

I hate waiting for parts too, and I order pretty much everything for my bikes over the internet Hopefully they will show up soon!

Old 08-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Yeah, that's the piece I was talking about. I've seen them for plastics before, I have even printed off the parts and prices. It doesn't look like I am going to need that piece afterall.

Once I came across Boxdgm's street fighter thread, I am pretty much sold on the idea of putting a 600rr tail on the end of it this winter. I have already started watching the parts that I need on ebay I hate it that not everything has a buy now option.

Last edited by cloudee1; 08-28-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:15 PM

Suddenly not so excited. Halfway home from work the bike starting sputtering and then it died on me. First time it has ever let me down.

As soon as I can get someone here with a truck or trailer and get home then I get to start trying to track down the problem.

Bad gas, fuel filter, plugs, battery...

Anyone have any thoughts after that

Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Charging system... As soon as I got it home, the first thing I tried to do was jump start it. Fired right up. As soon as I took off the cables, the dash lights started flickering I'm sure if I would have waited for it it would have died. Apparently up until today there had always been just enough juice flowing to keep it running. Never enough to start it so I knew there were issues, but it never conked out on me before once it was running.

Kicking myself now for ordering the r/r from Hong Kong. Looks like I'll be ordering a new one tonight. The Hong Kong one won't be in until the middle of next month at the earliest.

lesson of the day: quit putting off repairs

Old 08-28-2013, 08:56 PM

The r/r is a common problem, but make sure to test the stator and the battery too. Also check the connection between the stator and the r/r for burnt or melted wiring. I was having similar symptoms where my bike would run like crap at idle and want to stall when it was hot outside. I found the connection from the stator to the r/r was cooked and one of the 3 wires from the stator had lost connection to the r/r & melted the wiring at the plug. After cutting off the plugs & hard wiring the stator to the r/r it's been running fine for a year or two now. I think the connection became corroded and the resistance in the circuit caused enough heat to melt the connector and the wires.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 AM

Tahoe, the stator and an r/r are already on their way. That's really the only reason I didn't test to determine exactly which part failed. I had figured I'd make a clean sweep off all three components and replace them all. Getting stranded last night just means that my time table for getting everything replaced has drastically changed. If I can find the time tonight after work, I may get in there and look at the r/r and it's wiring.

The Stator hit west virginia early this morning, so hopefully it will hit Indianapolis tonight and will show up at my house on Saturday. The r/r I had overnighted so the order should be processed today and will show up tomorow. The battery I can pick up almost anywhere so no worries there.

With any luck, all three parts will get swapped out this weekend and it'll be back on the road. With the added bonus of never having to push start the thing again.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM

Suprisingly, when I took the r/r off of the bike tonight the connecting plugs didn't show any signs of being melted. They could have looked a little less corroded but they definitely looked better than was expecting. It also wasn't too terrible removing the part from the bike. I'm pretty sure though that it would be just about impossible to put a new one in that same spot, the bolt holes are well out of sight.

On the plus side, my new speedometer cable finally came in so I got that hooked up and ready to go. So far it seems to be registering the correct speed, 0 mph.

While I was out there fiddling, I went ahead and pulled all of the fuses to take a peek at them. The first one (top) was burnt and the fifth one from the top looked like it had tried to burn. I need to look it up and see what it is that those two 10 amp fuses run. Regardless, they have been replaced. Once everything is back in working order, I'll need to check on them from time to time and see if I have a persistent issue there.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:40 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First is the fan fuse. Fifth is your Neutral/Oil lights, tach and coolant temp gauge.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by cloudee1
So far it seems to be registering the correct speed, 0 mph.

I'm pretty sure your problem will be solved with the stator, r/r, and battery if needed on the way. The only other possibility I can think of would be a bad connection or wire(s) in the main harness or a bad body ground or battery connection.

Quick Reply: Getting pretty excited about upcoming repairs