CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump?

I self diagnosed a clogged fuel filter. But I now think it may be the pump? Please help!
Background: I purchased this bike last spring and it still had the 1990 plate on it, and less than 4000 miles. It had been winterized, sort of, back it 1990, but there was still some fuel in the lines, filter, and pump. They only drained the tank and the carbs. After a full cleaning of the system, I replaced the screen in the tank, filter in the line, and the pump. The bike has been running great all summer, put about 6000 miles on her so far. A couple weeks ago it started losing power at high rpm (cutting out). It started fading at 150 miles on the tank of fuel, so I switched to reserve, and ended up sitting on the side of the road for a few minutes. After ungearing and getting out my cell phone to call for help, I tried it again and it started up. I'm thinking.... good low rpm, bad high rpm, takes a while for the carbs to fill after switching to reserve, must be filter clogged. (the tank could have had some rust after sitting for so long empty, even though I cleaned it out pretty well) I pulled the filter off, and yes, it was dirty, but when I tried to run fuel through it, the fuel was running through it like it was not even there. I put it back together to ride to work today. I turned the key on and the pump started pumping, but would not stop. So I pulled it back apart to see why the pump was not pumping up and stopping.I filled the lead line to the pump with gas and it still would not stop until I put pressure on the line and the pump stopped?? I put the lines back on, started the bike, and noticed after a minute or two, the pump was pumping and getting very loud?? I am confident there is fuel to the pump. It is just not pumping. What should I do. I think the pump is hindering the fuel to the carbs

Please advise as to what I can do?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Pump?

Was the pump new? Apparently the pump can be hooked up backwards... there are some previous posts that address this issue( fuel pumps) in detail. Is your tank vent clear? Could be one of many problems.