CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Found a crack. Excuse for maintenance, rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a crack. Excuse for maintenance, rebuild.

So on July 4th before taking the bike out for a ride, I looked to see if my frame had the crack mentioned on the sticky above.
It does.
So considering the salvage title, lack of proper maintenance from the prior owners, **** poor "repair" work on the cracked plastics (bondo holding together two halves of plastic??? really??) and just the general age; I have decided to forgo the riding season, and tear everything apart. Just because.

The bike has 15,700 miles or so on it. So far it seems to be fine, mechanically.
It's my first bike, ever, so it's difficult for me to know what is normal or not.
For instance, I ma be hearing the cam chain, or maybe the clutch, but I wouldn't know. I just know I hear something while riding, at most speeds.

I've purchased a new clutch perch, as the old one is wallowed out where the adjuster bolt/washer thingy goes. That in turn frayed the clutch cable up top.
So I have a new one of those as well.
The clutch cable as is has to much slack in it.

The only mod on the bike is an f2 swing arm, and a 160 rear tire....I believe.. I was told.... Haven't bothered looking...

It does have all the plastics, in various conditions, but I have not decided on what route to take with the body.
So for now I am going to focus on mechanics, and basic maintenance.

I'm going to strip the girl and give her want she needs.....
Paint/powder coat.
Since I got rid of my hobby car, I needed a new project.
But first things first.
With 15k plus miles, questionable maintenance, etc, what maintenance should be done?

I already know it needs a new chain and sprocket set.
I assume I should do the CCT adjuster as well, due to age?

The carbs were replaced previously, with used/non rebuilt carbs. SO I have the old ones in storage, which supposedly would over flow the #2 bowl, plus the carbs on the bike, which seem to be ok.

I want to put a list together, so I can order the majority of stuff at once if possible. I'm getting a couple of small bonus checks from work over the next couple of months, and plan to put them to good use

I do have the digital f1 manual and will be going through that, as well as this forum for more info.

Once the shell of my car is out of my storage unit (hopefully in the next week) it will become the new home of my bike.

Name:  IMG_20130602_132533_770.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  76.8 KB

Old 07-08-2013, 12:12 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the start of a good project.